Not only is the PMC’s health department struggling to fill posts of specialists and superspecialists at its 16 hospitals, the ICU facility at Kamala Nehru Hospital is yet to get under way with as many as 56 posts lying vacant.
“For more than three years, the proposal to fill the posts has been gathering dust at the Urban Development Department,” Dr S T Pardeshi, acting chief medical officer of health told Newsline.
The Intensive Care Unit (ICU) facility at the 410-bed Kamala Nehru Hospital is the only one among the PMC-run hospitals and maternity homes. The PMC is now mulling inviting experts from Sassoon General Hospital to operate the ICU. “We hope to start a post-graduate course so that students from B J Medical College can learn and practice at the ICU facility,” Pardeshi said.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
He admitted that despite issuing advertisements, the PMC had been unable to attract specialists and super specialists to work at the set up. Authorities at Sassoon General Hospital are yet to give their consent to the proposal. “Out of 19 lecturers’ posts, only six have been filled. Once we recruit more staff we can contemplate appointing them to operate the ICU at Kamala Nehru Hospital, said Dr D B Kadam, official spokesperson at Sassoon hospital.
“We are making contractual appointments to various posts as there are very few takers for the specialists’ posts at other hospitals. Though the PMC has offered incentives like salary of Rs 50,000 and above to specialists, it has failed to attract people,” officials admitted.
“Of the 1,312 vacant posts at 16 hospitals run by the PMC, 136 posts of Class I-IV officers are yet to be filled. We were able to fill 188 posts of medical officers, and appointed 187 junior nurses, apart from recruiting pharmacists, laboratory technicians and others,” said Anjali Sabne, Deputy Medical Officer of Health.
As many as 10 of the 11 posts for paediatricians are vacant, eight of the 11 posts of resident general surgeons and five of the six posts of radiologists are yet to be filled. Even nine posts of operation theatre attendants have not been filled. According to officials, a central medical oxygen facility – an important component at the ICU – is in place and over Rs 50 crore was spent to renovate Kamala Nehru Hospital