A youth venting fury at a hospital in Hadapsar for his father’s death thrashed the doctors and staff where the patient was recuperating after surgery. He and his friends not only assaulted the doctor but also ransacked the hospital.
Hadapsar police arrested Nilesh Suresh Shelke, Babu Appa Sodanwar, Satish Sakharam Ambekar, Dilip Sakharam Ambekar, all residents of Daund taluka in Pune district on the complaint of Dr Sachin Abane, director Abane Accident Hospital where the incident allegedly took place.
Police said Nilesh’s father Suresh Shelke (43) was admitted to Abane Accident Hospital for treatment on April 9. He was operated upon on April 10. On Monday evening, he went to the hospital bathroom to pass urine. He appears to have lost consciousness and collapsed inside the bathroom. By the time he was brought out after the door of the bathroom was broken open, he had died, police investigating the incident said.
- 2 students injured in mishap on campus: Staff at health centre misbehaved with us, treatment inadequate, say SPPU students
- Severed leg used as prop in Uttar Pradesh hospital, no one saw who did it
- Pune: Video of godman ‘performing rituals’ on patient in ICU goes viral
- Patient’s severed leg used as pillow in Uttar Pradesh hospital, four employees suspended
- After 3 patients’ deaths: Kin accuse three private hospitals of negligence
- ‘To save lives in critical emergency situations, it is crucial to train first responders’
Doctors claim that the operation on Shelke was successful and there was no negligence on their part. They suspect Shelke may have suffered a heart attack or a shock.
Shelke’s son and his friends accused the hospital staff and doctors of negligence. They manhandled the doctors and the hospital staff, damaged the furniture and broke the glass in the OPD and intensive care unit of the hospital, police said.
Senior police inspector Rajendra Mohite and his team visited the hospital to take stock. Police booked the suspects under IPC and sections of the Maharashtra Medicare Service Persons and Medicare Service Institutions (Prevention of Violence and Damage of Property) Act, 2010.