Six persons, including three children from two families in the city, drowned in the sea at Anjarle in Ratnagiri district in Konkan on Sunday afternoon. While five bodies were fished out till late in the evening, search for one child was on till the last reports came in.
According to the Ratnagiri police, the incident took place around 1 pm at Anjarle near Dapoli. As many as 18 persons from four families had gone there for a picnic. Nine of them entered the sea for a swim and started drowning within minutes as the water level started going up due to high tide.
Three persons were rescued by the local villagers who came to the spot after others in the group raised an alarm. Six others, including three children, drowned.
The bodies of five were fished out late in the evening. They are Sangeeta Ojha (35), Pavan Dangi (5), Savita Sham Dangi (24), Sham Dangi (27) and Shruti Dangi (4). Search for Arpan Sharma (8) was on till late in the night. “We have come to know that these people had been warned by the local villagers not to enter the waters as it was the time for high tide. It seems these people started drowning as the water level rose in a matter of minutes,” said an officer with the Dapoli police.
Additional Superintendent of Police Nandakumar Thakur said: “The spot where the incident took place is not a tourist spot as it is not a beach. At this point, the waters of Anjarle creek and the main sea meet and so there is always turbulence, specially at the time of high tide.”Yogesh Dangi, one of the family members, said the group had started from Pune early in the morning and had reached the spot at 11 am. They were to return by Sunday night.The police said the bodies of the deceased would be handed over to the relatives after postmortem. According to the police, the families own grocery shops in Dattawadi and Aranyeshwar areas of Pune city.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016