To avoid encroachment on city roads and footpaths adding to inconvenience to citizens, city-based NGOs have urged the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) administration to strictly implement ban of pandals on roads and footpaths.
“The Ganesh festival is approaching and there will be demand for space to set up stalls for sale of Ganesh idols and also for erection of Ganesh pandals. Every year it is seen that several Ganesh idol stalls are installed on footpaths. This blocks passage for pedestrians,” said Jugal Rathi of Pune Cycle Pratishthan and Prashant Inamdar of Pedestrians First.
They said the roadsides also get occupied by customers standing in front of the stalls and their haphazardly parked vehicles.
Hence pedestrians can neither use the footpath nor even the roadside space and are forced to walk on the carriageway of the road at a risk to life.
This also aggravates traffic congestion on the busy roads. Similarly, stalls are also erected on cycle tracks which then cause inconvenience for cyclists.
“Regarding Ganesh pandals, we understand that the norm is that pandals should occupy maximum of one third of the road width. However it is seen that the Ganesh pandals are erected in such a way that they are partly on road and partly on footpath. This totally blocks passage for pedestrians and also the road side space. People crowding in the vicinity of the pandals further aggravate the situation for pedestrians,” they said adding that in case pandals are to be allowed on roads, the condition should be that they should occupy one third of the carraige way width leaving the footpath and cycle track untouched and free for pedestrians.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review