Hours after the state government made an abrupt reshuffle at the top level in Pune city police in the backdrop of the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, Satish Mathur — who took charge as police commissioner on Wednesday — said smooth elections is his top priority.
Mathur, a 1981 batch IPS officer of Maharashtra cadre, took charge from Gulabrao Pol — who had taken over in June 2012. The reshuffle took place late on Tuesday and was communicated to the officers early on Wednesday.
Speaking to the media, Mathur said, “I have a new team of officers at various levels and I am looking at this as a new chapter. Our priority right now is safe and smooth conduct of elections in Pune city. We are taking stock of the situation. We will plan some new initiatives and announce them soon.”
Before taking charge of his new posting, Mathur was posted as Additional Director General of Police (establishments). He had a stint in Pune as Deputy Commissioner Of Police between 1985 and 1990. He also served on deputation with the Central Bureau of Investigation and Air India as director of security.
Asked about the direction from the state police chief Sanjiv Dayal to keep a check on criminals on police records, Mathur said, “Let me get hold of the situation. We will follow the directions.”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
About three weeks ago, when the transfers of several IPS officers in the state were announced, Pol’s transfer was also slated. However, the decision was taken late on Tuesday. Sources said one of the reasons behind the transfer is Pune police’s failure to crack the murder of anti-superstition activist Narendra Dabholkar. Pol has now been transferred as Additional Director General (vigilance) with Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd.
‘Will crack Dabholkar case’
When asked about the progress in the probe of Dabholkar murder, Mathur said, “It is one of the most important cases before Pune police.
I have asked the investigating team to brief me about the progress till now. We will take the case to its logical conclusion.”