Hours after the state government made an abrupt reshuffle at the top level in Pune city police in the backdrop of the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, Satish Mathur — who took charge as police commissioner on Wednesday — said smooth elections is his top priority.
Mathur, a 1981 batch IPS officer of Maharashtra cadre, took charge from Gulabrao Pol — who had taken over in June 2012. The reshuffle took place late on Tuesday and was communicated to the officers early on Wednesday.
Speaking to the media, Mathur said, “I have a new team of officers at various levels and I am looking at this as a new chapter. Our priority right now is safe and smooth conduct of elections in Pune city. We are taking stock of the situation. We will plan some new initiatives and announce them soon.”
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
Before taking charge of his new posting, Mathur was posted as Additional Director General of Police (establishments). He had a stint in Pune as Deputy Commissioner Of Police between 1985 and 1990. He also served on deputation with the Central Bureau of Investigation and Air India as director of security.
Asked about the direction from the state police chief Sanjiv Dayal to keep a check on criminals on police records, Mathur said, “Let me get hold of the situation. We will follow the directions.”
About three weeks ago, when the transfers of several IPS officers in the state were announced, Pol’s transfer was also slated. However, the decision was taken late on Tuesday. Sources said one of the reasons behind the transfer is Pune police’s failure to crack the murder of anti-superstition activist Narendra Dabholkar. Pol has now been transferred as Additional Director General (vigilance) with Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd.
‘Will crack Dabholkar case’
When asked about the progress in the probe of Dabholkar murder, Mathur said, “It is one of the most important cases before Pune police.
I have asked the investigating team to brief me about the progress till now. We will take the case to its logical conclusion.”