NCP plays poll card,seeks 10 per cent construction on land reserved for BDP

Political parties in the city have started wooing voters by trying to score over each other ahead of the upcoming Assembly and Lok Sabha elections

Written by Express News Service | Pune | Published: July 17, 2013 2:50 am

Political parties in the city have started wooing voters by trying to score over each other ahead of the upcoming Assembly and Lok Sabha elections. While the opposition parties — Shiv Sena,BJP and MNS in Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) — had earlier proposed to regularise illegal constructions in the 23 fringe villages,the NCP has proposed to allow 10 per cent construction on land reserved for bio-diversity parks (BDP).

“The chief minister recently announced the BDP will be retained. The formula of giving 8 per cent transfer of development rights instead of proposed 4 per cent has been approved for acquiring land to retain green cover on hill tops. The land reserved under BDP has a lot of forest land where no development can take place. Thus,there is no problem in allowing 10 per cent construction on BDP in private land,” said NCP leader Subhash Jagtap in a proposal tabled in the general body meeting.

He said the permission should be given on the condition that the developer or the property owner plant trees and maintain them. “The private land under BDP reservation is merely 15 per cent of the total reservation. It will not make any major reduction in the green cover,” said Jagtap.

A Sena leader said they proposed to regularise the illegal constructions in the fringe villages as this was the only way to make inroad into the area.

“The fringe area of the city is divided into Pune city,Baramati and Shirur Lok Sabha constituency. The area is known to be a NCP stronghold. By putting forth such proposals we want to win the hearts of residents of the area,” said a Sena leader.

The NCP proposal is likely to hurt the city unit chief Vandana Chavan as she is against development on the land reserved under BDP.

Pulling down mobile towers: PMC chief goes on the backfoot

Under attack for illegal mobile towers springing up in the city,Municipal Commissioner Mahesh Pathak had announced at the previous general body meeting that mobile towers close to schools and hospitals would be pulled down as part of its drive to make the mobile companies follow regulations for setting up towers. However,a day before it had to give an update on the proposed action,the administration has decided to review its decision. “The civic administration had issued notices to 40 mobile towers found in the vicinity of hospitals or schools. However,the mobile towers association members met Mahesh Pathak and argued that there was no rule restricting towers in the vicinity of schools and hospitals,said additional city engineer Vivek Kharwadkar. He said Pathak has asked them to review the notice and check whether these towers can be regularised as per norms. “The towers are illegal as they exist without PMC permission,but they will be given an option of getting regularised by fulfilling the norms,” Kharwadkar said. The draft rule for mobile towers submitted by the association member would be studied along with the corporators’ claims of norms,he said.

For all the latest Pune News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results