‘Must step up research to find HIV cure’

It was crucial that HIV patients keep the virus under control in the absence of treatment: Prof Sharon Lewin

Pune | Published: March 22, 2014 2:06 am
Sharon Lewin Sharon Lewin

Scientist Prof Sharon Lewin on Friday said it was crucial that HIV patients keep the virus under control in the absence of treatment.

“A whopping $50 billion will have been spent by 2030 to ensure HIV positive persons get anti-retroviral therapy. The numbers are not getting less as there are two million new HIV infections reported every year. So what patients need is a sterilising cure — to no longer be HIV positive,” said Lewin, who visited National AIDS Research Institute on Friday.

Lewin, who is co-chair for the 20th International AIDS conference to be held in July in Australia, called for stepping up research to find an HIV cure. An HIV cure may one day be scientifically possible but it will require substantial investment and collaboration to have any chance of becoming a reality, she added.

“The task of finding an HIV cure is too big for one laboratory or one country. There is a need for funding to conduct operational research. Research is getting harder and more expensive. Governments must support basic research projects,”she said.

Lewin, who is also Director of the Department of Infectious Diseases at The Alfred Hospital & Monash University in Melbourne, cited recent developments in HIV cure research, which made global headlines in the past few years. For instance, Timothy Brown, who was the first man to be cured of HIV/AIDS through a bone marrow transplant, and the case of the Mississippi baby who was treated with anti-retroviral drugs for HIV immediately after birth and two years since being taken off therapy at 18 months, remain free of HIV.

“Finding a cure for HIV or a way for patients to safely stop taking anti-retrovirals and keep the virus under control  will have a very significant global economic and individual impact,” said Lewin. “The big challenge is to find a way out to permanently knock out these last reservoirs of the virus or boost the immune system to keep any remaining virus at very low levels.”

Lewin said another approach is to wake up the sleeping virus. A specialised anti-cancer drug Vorinostat recently showed just that in two clinical trials in Melbourne, Australia and North Carolina. The next step is to wake up the virus more effectively and also find a way to kill the infected cell”, she added.

For all the latest Pune News, download Indian Express App

katherine
    Sep 3, 2017 at 5:09 pm
    Greetings to the general public, i want to tell about how i was cured of HIV/AIDS disease by a Doctor called Dr voodoo. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HIV and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor voodoo cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of been cured of HIV/AIDS so i decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment voodoospelltemple66 when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HIV result came out negative. I pray for you Dr voodoo God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem E-mail him voodoospelltemple66 Add him up on WhatsApp 2349061243458
    (0)(0)
      peter james
      Sep 3, 2017 at 3:24 am
      I am rita rodriguez from united state of america and i want quickly recommend dr TEBE for a Job well done by curing me from the diseases that i have be giving sleepness night. I was once diagonised with Herpes and hiv Virus due to unprotected . I was ashamed to tell anyone, So i silently go in search on how to get cured and i met this man dr TEBE and now i am completely cured. My mind is now at rest and i so much appreciate dr TEBE for His goodwork if you want to contact him, Simply do that via His email id drtebe2 or WHATSAPP him on 2348140544262
      (0)(0)
      1. L
        leticia
        Aug 28, 2017 at 2:13 pm
        (0)(0)
        1. L
          leticia
          Aug 28, 2017 at 2:10 pm
          My name is Leticia,i was diagnosed of HIV/AIDS for over a year which made me lose my job and mostly part my life were gone because i couldn't keep up with myself, until a friend from Singapore introduce me to a healer called Dr Adodo and ask me to contact him which i did without hesitation so he responded and i told him my problems and he promise me solution and ask me to trust have fate on the spell which he will cast for me that am going to get cured, i did what he demanded of me and after a week he ask me to go for an HIV test and to my greatest surprise i came out negative and till now the doctors are still surprise about my situation so i want everyone out there that is leaving with HIV/AIDS should please contact him from cure on his email address on Adodospelltemple or call him on 1 (661) 704 3225 or visit his at : adodospelltemple.webs /
          (0)(0)
          1. E
            esther
            Aug 24, 2017 at 1:34 pm
            am rose kari and ,I am from USA, I was diagnosed of (Hiv) in 2012 and I have tried all possible means to get cured, i even visited phonologist but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal doctor from Africa who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Emphysema, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email he sent me the hiv, herbal medicine through courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured of this deadly disease within 12-14 days of usage, if you are suffering from this diseases you can as well Contact this great herbal doctor via his email-. dr.ballispellhome or whatsapp contact 2347036905929
            (0)(0)