With sexual harassment of girl students being reported in school buses, mothers of school children have taken the initiative to get bus operators to employ women attendants in buses.
“It started when we read in newspapers about a 4-and-a-half-year-old girl being raped. This triggered panic. Buses in our area didn’t have woman attendants. I sent out a WhatsApp message to parents I was in contact with to discuss the issue,” said a mother who did not wish to be named. “We met on May 25 and called bus owners to the meeting. Once it was about safety of children, everybody turned up,” she added.
Latika Sharma, who attended the meeting said, “We are all working mothers so there is a time issue. Secondly the driver is the same but the conductor keeps changing. All we have is a number which we call whenever kids leave behind something in the bus. We realised that we need to have more information on people in the bus. We told the owner that if a woman attendant is not appointed, we will complain to the Regional Transport Office which can cancel his permit,” said Sharma. “Many other mothers too have come to know about this initiative and are taking up this initiative. After all it is the matter of security of our kids,” added Sharma who has asked bus owners to provide full information on the driver, conductor and woman attendant so that parents can verify their credentials.
The biggest problem is there is little awareness on rules and regulations, said Avani Dambal, a mother who has formed a group demanding another bus owner to employ a woman attendant. “Not everyone is aware of RTO rules on employing a woman attendant compulsorily. So once I came to know about it, we joined together and held a meeting with parents whose kids went in the bus my daughter took to school. Our bus still doesn’t have a woman attendant, but we have given an ultimatum to the driver to get an attendant by June 15. We have told him we will not pay till the time, he gets a woman attendant and he has agreed,” said Avani. “We have also asked for a character certificate of the woman…,” added Dambal.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016