The Pune Police Crime Branch has arrested a man who allegedly cheated many people to the tune of lakhs of rupees by posting fake advertisements about selling properties on websites.
The police have identified the suspect as Suraj Rakesh Choube alias Swaroop Sharma alias Raj Shukla. He was wanted in cases registered with the Vimantal police station and Lashkar police station in Pune, and Nalasopara police station in Mumbai.
He was booked in these cases under sections 420, 467, 468, 470, 471, 43 of the Indian Penal Code.
- A crook’s hook: Con ‘bride’ arrested for duping 10 ‘grooms’
- Delhi Police bust fake job racket, one arrested
- Pune: Man held for ‘running fake lottery system’
- Aspiring singer arrested for theft: He tried his hand at Indian Idol, taekwondo, and then armed robbery
- West Bengal CID arrests man for ‘cheating’ people of Rs 100 crore
- Seven held for duping people by offering them bitcoins: Police
The police said he and his accomplices had posted advertisements of property dealing in the name of Allmax Reality Acres Private Limited and Wellington Homezone India Private Limited Company on websites like “Common Floor” and “Magicbricks”.
He allegedly attracted customers who wanted to buy apartments. After the customers contacted him, Suraj took them to some apartments.
He then prepared documents and took booking amounts from the customers. But later, he did not complete the deal and fled with the booking amount.
Suraj allegedly cheated a person of Rs 1.39 lakh. This person lodged a complaint with the Vimantal police station on March 20,2015.
Acting on a tip-off, a team of Economic Offences Wing of Pune Police’s Crime Branch led by Inspector Vasant Kunvar laid a trap and nabbed Suraj in Karad, Satara district on Wednesday.
An investigation was on to know how many people he has cheated so far.
The police are also finding the details of his accomplices.