The city police on Friday arrested a man for beheading his wife who he suspected had an affair with their son-in-law. The accused was arrested from the road near Ganga Osian Park in Katraj around 11 am when he was seen walking with an axe in one hand and his wife’s head in the other.
Police have identified the suspect as Ramchandra Sheu Chavan (53), a resident of Oswal Plot near Ganga Osian Park, Sukhsagar Nagar. His deceased wife has been identified as Sonabai Ramchandra Chavan (45).
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Chavan’s daughter-in-law Sunita Rajesh Chavan (25) filed an FIR at Bharati Vidyapeeth police station.
Police said though Chavan is a native of Gulbarga in Karnataka, he has been staying in Pune for the past 40 years. He has been working as a watchman at Oswal plot for the past 20 years and resides in a house on the plot with his wife, sons Rajesh and Umesh, daughter-in-law Sunita and two grandsons. His two daughters are married and live out of Pune, they added.
Preliminary investigations have revealed that Chavan used to often quarrel with his wife and also suspected her of having an affair with their son-in-law. On Friday morning, after his sons Rajesh and Umesh left home for work, Chavan had a heated argument with his wife. As things went out of control, he locked up his daughter-in-law and two grandsons in a room and beheaded his wife with an axe.
He did not stop here, but picked up her head in one hand and the axe in another and walked out of the house. As passersby saw him walking along the street, they quickly informed the police control room. Meanwhile, some people present at the spot clicked his photographs and recorded the video on their cellphones.
A motorcyclist, in the meantime, informed the traffic personnel on duty at Rajesh society area about the man.
Soon, traffic policemen V K Kumkar, D N Jagtap and Bhalchandra Tanvar rushed to the spot. Assistant police inspector Sanjay Chavan and constables Rahul Kadam and Mukund Pawar who were patrolling the area also reached the spot and arrested Chavan before taking him to the police station. They later sent his wife’s body for postmortem.
On learning about the incident, senior officers, including Deputy Commissioner
of Police (Zone II) Sudhakar Pathare, Assistant Commissioner of Police Atmacharan Shinde, Senior Inspector Machhindra Chavan and Senior Inspector (traffic) Chandrakant Bhosale also visited the crime scene for investigation.
During investigation, the police questioned Chavan’s family to ascertain the cause behind the crime and also recorded their statements. Police also recorded statements of some eyewitnesses in the case.
DCP Pathare said from investigations so far, it is clear that Chavan killed his wife over her affair with their son-in-law. He was booked under Section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).