The city police on Friday arrested a man for beheading his wife who he suspected had an affair with their son-in-law. The accused was arrested from the road near Ganga Osian Park in Katraj around 11 am when he was seen walking with an axe in one hand and his wife’s head in the other.
Police have identified the suspect as Ramchandra Sheu Chavan (53), a resident of Oswal Plot near Ganga Osian Park, Sukhsagar Nagar. His deceased wife has been identified as Sonabai Ramchandra Chavan (45).
Chavan’s daughter-in-law Sunita Rajesh Chavan (25) filed an FIR at Bharati Vidyapeeth police station.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Police said though Chavan is a native of Gulbarga in Karnataka, he has been staying in Pune for the past 40 years. He has been working as a watchman at Oswal plot for the past 20 years and resides in a house on the plot with his wife, sons Rajesh and Umesh, daughter-in-law Sunita and two grandsons. His two daughters are married and live out of Pune, they added.
Preliminary investigations have revealed that Chavan used to often quarrel with his wife and also suspected her of having an affair with their son-in-law. On Friday morning, after his sons Rajesh and Umesh left home for work, Chavan had a heated argument with his wife. As things went out of control, he locked up his daughter-in-law and two grandsons in a room and beheaded his wife with an axe.
He did not stop here, but picked up her head in one hand and the axe in another and walked out of the house. As passersby saw him walking along the street, they quickly informed the police control room. Meanwhile, some people present at the spot clicked his photographs and recorded the video on their cellphones.
A motorcyclist, in the meantime, informed the traffic personnel on duty at Rajesh society area about the man.
Soon, traffic policemen V K Kumkar, D N Jagtap and Bhalchandra Tanvar rushed to the spot. Assistant police inspector Sanjay Chavan and constables Rahul Kadam and Mukund Pawar who were patrolling the area also reached the spot and arrested Chavan before taking him to the police station. They later sent his wife’s body for postmortem.
On learning about the incident, senior officers, including Deputy Commissioner
of Police (Zone II) Sudhakar Pathare, Assistant Commissioner of Police Atmacharan Shinde, Senior Inspector Machhindra Chavan and Senior Inspector (traffic) Chandrakant Bhosale also visited the crime scene for investigation.
During investigation, the police questioned Chavan’s family to ascertain the cause behind the crime and also recorded their statements. Police also recorded statements of some eyewitnesses in the case.
DCP Pathare said from investigations so far, it is clear that Chavan killed his wife over her affair with their son-in-law. He was booked under Section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).