A lawyer hailing from Gulbarga, Karnataka was killed at Solapur Railway Station during a brawl with another passenger and two of his friends over occupying a berth in the train.
According to the railway police, the accused pushed the victim from the platform. The victim fell between the tracks and was overrun.
The Government Railway Police in Solapur said the incident happened at 11 pm Thursday, but the complaint was registered on Friday.
- Cop accuses RPF colleagues of assault, stealing luggage
- Female cop found dead on rail tracks in Mumbai
- GRP officials in next coach ‘fast asleep’, women passengers robbed on train
- Man kicked out of train by co-passenger for no reason; dies
- Bengaluru pub brawl: Congress MLA Haris’ son surrenders
- Immolation by couple led to train fire: Railway cops
“The Solapur-Pune passenger was about to depart from Platform 6 when Gulbarga-based lawyer Mallikarjun Shinde (38) entered into an altercation with a fellow passenger over a berth. The other person – the main suspect – then called up his friends Shubham Shikre and Mangalsinh Rajput who reached the station. The trio then started beating up Shinde. By then, the train picked up speed. One of the three then lodged a blow on Shinde’s chest which threw him back. He fell between the track and the platform and was run over by the departing train. He died before he could be taken to a hospital,” said Station Duty Officer, Ajay Singh Rathod, Solapur GRP Station.
Chandrashah Hadgil (55), uncle of the deceased, registered a complaint with the GRP on Saturday afternoon. Police have arrested the two suspects and are looking for the main suspect. According to Hadgil, the family was on their way to Pune to attend a wedding.