A lawyer hailing from Gulbarga, Karnataka was killed at Solapur Railway Station during a brawl with another passenger and two of his friends over occupying a berth in the train.
According to the railway police, the accused pushed the victim from the platform. The victim fell between the tracks and was overrun.
The Government Railway Police in Solapur said the incident happened at 11 pm Thursday, but the complaint was registered on Friday.
- Passengers pelt stones, uproot benches over train delay at Shahdara railway station
- 23-year-old sentenced to 6 months in jail for shouting 'I love you, you love me' at minor
- Man held for ‘flashing’ in a Mumbai local train
- Karnataka man held for stealing Rs 3.65L from train passenger at CSMT
- Passengers of Jhelum Express robbed
- Immolation by couple led to train fire: Railway cops
“The Solapur-Pune passenger was about to depart from Platform 6 when Gulbarga-based lawyer Mallikarjun Shinde (38) entered into an altercation with a fellow passenger over a berth. The other person – the main suspect – then called up his friends Shubham Shikre and Mangalsinh Rajput who reached the station. The trio then started beating up Shinde. By then, the train picked up speed. One of the three then lodged a blow on Shinde’s chest which threw him back. He fell between the track and the platform and was run over by the departing train. He died before he could be taken to a hospital,” said Station Duty Officer, Ajay Singh Rathod, Solapur GRP Station.
Chandrashah Hadgil (55), uncle of the deceased, registered a complaint with the GRP on Saturday afternoon. Police have arrested the two suspects and are looking for the main suspect. According to Hadgil, the family was on their way to Pune to attend a wedding.