Deepak Mankar’s way to become PMC’s deputy mayor seems to have been cleared with the state law and judiciary department rejecting a Pune prosecution proposal to appeal in Bombay High Court (HC) against Mankar’s acquittal in an alleged land grab case in 2009.
Mankar and 18 others were acquitted by Pune district and sessions judge Anant Badar on October 21 last year as the allegations could not be proved. Additional public prosecutor Subhash Kalbhor said as per standard procedure,he had submitted the proposal to appeal against Mankar’s acquittal in the Bombay HC to law and judiciary department in December last year. The law and judiciary department,however,rejected the proposal, he said.
On the other hand,professor Yashwant Natu,who had alleged that Mankar and 18 others had grabbed his land in Shukrawar Peth has himself approached the HC through his lawyer Manoj Mohite. We have filed an appeal against them in the HC and it is expected to be admitted next week, Mohite said.
Some of the important points mentioned for appeal are delay in filing the FIR cannot by itself be a ground to view the case of the Appellant with suspicion and that he and the prosecution witnesses had repeatedly deposed that he had no intentions of selling his property.
Speculations of Mankar clearing all legal hurdles with heavy political backing were ruled out by his lawyer Sureshchandra Bhosale. The law and judiciary’s decision to reject the appeal against him came much earlier than he was declared the candidate for deputy mayor’s post. The reason why the proposal was rejected was that there is no weightage in the allegations, he said.
As per the complaint of Yashwant Natu and his son Dhananjay Natu,Karnataki had purchased a part of the disputed property,co-owned by Natu and his relatives in Shukrawar Peth. However,Natu did not sell his share of the property to Karnataki. Natu alleged that Karnataki,Mankar and Sagre had threatened him and forcibly taken his signatures on the documents,paying him Rs 1.25 crore against the sale of the property.