Expressing concern over the “threat to secularism” in the country, Union Agriculture Minister and NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Wednesday said that voters should keep the country free of communalism by ensuring BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi’s defeat in elections.
Launching the election campaign of four NCP-Congress alliance candidates along with Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and senior leaders of NCP and Congress, he said, “We want an India, which is free of racial and communal discrimination. This can be done by keeping Modi out of power.” He said that never in the history of Indian was any person projected as the prime minister well before elections. “The person himself has no knowledge of the history of India and is making irrelevant statements,” said the NCP chief.
While the Congress has fielded Vishwajeet Kadam from Pune Lok Sabha seat, NCP candidates Supriya Sule, Devdatt Nikam and Rahul Narvekar are contesting from Baramati, Shirur and Maval, respectively. Earlier in the day, all the four contestants filed their nomination papers for the elections.
Referring to the massive earthquake in Gujarat, Pawar said he was given the responsibility to carry out rescue and relief operations. “We helped Gujarat recover from the disaster. However, the Gujarat government has filed criminal case against those who helped farmers in Maharastra during drought,” he said, adding, people with such mentality should be kept out of power.
On opposition parties raising slogans about making the country free of Congress, Pawar said, “Congress party is 150 year old. The contribution of leaders have been immense in the development of the country. They have ensured unity among all communities in the country and have won their confidence.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
He said the UPA government has taken a very big step on Food Security Bill, which would ensure food at cheap rates to citizens.
Chavan said the alliance would face a big challenge from communal parties in the elections. “People with fascist mentality are coming forward. People like Hitler came to power by impressing citizens with false assurances. The strategy adopted by Modi is an indication of dictatorship,” he said.
He added, “I had thrown an open challenge to BJP prime ministerial candidate, who claims that under his leadership Gujarat has developed more as compared to other states. If we compare Maharashtra and Gujarat, our state is far ahead by all means,” said Chavan.