From 3.6 lakh units in 1997,blood collection from donors in the state rose to 14.41 lakh units in 2012. There has been a huge rise in voluntary blood donation,Dr Sanjay Jadhav,in charge of the state blood transfusion council told Newsline.
On June 14,the world observes World Blood Donor Day. The event,established in 2004,serves to raise awareness on the need for safe blood and blood products and thank voluntary unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gift of blood.
Jadhav said there has been a rise in number of voluntary blood donors in the city and the state. Giving comparative figures,he said the number of blood donation camps shot up from 2,500 in 1997 to 18,972 last year. While there are 291 blood banks in the state,204 have the capacity to provide platelets which is increasingly in demand as people plan surgeries for cancer treatment.
According to Dr S Mujumdar,who is in charge of Ruby Hall blood bank,the focus for the 2013 campaign,the 10th anniversary of World Blood Donor Day,is blood donation as a gift that saves lives. WHO encourages all countries to highlight stories of people whose lives have been saved through blood donation,as a way of motivating regular donors to continue giving blood and people in good health who have never given blood,particularly young people,to begin now. A blood donation drive has been planned here while Dr Sanjeev Ketkar,who is in charge of the Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital blood bank,said there are 200 youngsters regularly on call for donating blood and platelets.
Dr Sujata Dhanuka,Associate Vice-President Medico-Marketing,Metropolis Healthcare Ltd,said blood donation was an act of humanity,and a way to your own good health. Studies have revealed good effects of donating blood,like reduction in chances of a heart attack,and enhanced production of red blood cells. After blood donation,the plasma donated is replaced within about 24 hours.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
India has reported the highest increase in blood donations and registered an increase by a million units in 2007-08. Despite this,India runs short of 3 million units.
Voluntary and unpaid blood donations helps save lives of people struggling with serious and life-threatening conditions like accidents,major surgeries,cancers and blood disorders. One pint of blood could mean years of life saved for these people,Dhanuka said.