At Yerawada’s Nagpur chawl, which often hits the headlines for the wrong reasons, residents speak in hushed tones about the death of a 27-year-old who committed suicide after what his family describes as “utterly humiliating circumstances”.
One suspect has been arrested in the case.
Mahesh Shinde, an RTO agent, hanged himself after he was allegedly beaten with belts, hit with stumps and stripped on Thursday by about 10-15 youths, said his family. Shinde was assaulted on a plot near Lumbini Garden in Yerawada. He somehow managed to reach home when it was dark.
Ashamed and humiliated, Shinde hanged himself at his residence when his wife was not at home. “When he limped home the day before he ended his life, my brother told our mother that he has lost his ‘izzat’…and therefore wouldn’t like to live anymore,” says Mahesh’s sister Aarti.
“It is clear that Mahesh took his own life because he found it difficult to face the world after being stripped…,” Aarti said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Nirmala Hire, an aunt, says, “We were all shocked to see Mahesh’s body. It had bruises all over. Apparently, he was beaten with stumps that broke into pieces. The police found the stumps at the spot.”
The youths who stripped Shinde were apparently close friends with whom he roamed and dined practically everyday. According to the family, Mahesh had lent Rs 12,000 to one of his friends over which a dispute had arisen between the two.
“The friend then told the group and took revenge on Mahesh in a most savage manner,” says his brother Umesh Shinde.
“Mahesh had injury marks on his face and neck. When I closely examined him, his neck had a severe crack which reveals they had hit him with a blunt object,” says Aarti.
“We were stunned to find that the post-mortem report did not mention the nasty injury mark,” alleged the family, which urged Sassoon dean to probe the matter. The family said they nabbed one person who confessed to them and handed him over to police.
S A Patil, senior inspector of Yerawada police station, said they arrested one person in connection with the case. “He and four others have been charged with abetment to suicide. The four others are absconding,” said Patil.
The family has sought arrest of all the accused who they said were involved in the attack, claiming to have witnesses to prove their involvement.
Shinde is survived by his wife and a three-year-daughter.