To effectively resolve issues facing women, Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) has come out with a report to make Pune a ‘women sensitive city’ and recommended certification to buildings that have safety measures and special security arrangements for women working, particularly in the Information Technology (IT).
The report includes pension for commercial sex workers.
The report was prepared by All India Institute of Local Self Government (AIILSG) on behalf of PMC after discussion with women from all sections of society and was handed over to PMC on Monday.
“The city is first in the country to have such a report on women issues. We would ensure its implementation and make a report every two and half years to check status of women issues,’’ said mayor Chanchala Kodre.
It recommended PMC to implement the technique adopted by Kolhapur to check female foeticide by keeping vigil on sonography centres.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The law to stop sex determination should be implemented strictly, it emphasised.
Raising security issues, the report rooted for certificates to buildings that has security measures including CCTV in parking areas for 24-hour vigilance, glass doors for elevators, emergency phones, a special place in the building meant for women to gather and rest, separate parking place for women at commercial, educational areas and market places.
The report urges implementation of recommendations of ASSOCHAM for women working in BPOs and ITES. The safety of women in the IT sector can be ensured by appointing a security guard in the official company vehicle, setting up group of women working in night shifts, GPS installation in every company vehicle, 24-hour helpline for women, increased night patrolling in areas around IT companies.
It suggested increase in hostels for working women.
The need for social mapping was suggested to take up women-specific projects. It said the civic body should set up a committee of local women for water distribution where water is supplied through public taps provided by PMC as the situation turns violent due to arguments among women.
To resolve issues of commercial sex workers, the report recommends pension for women sex workers who struggle to survive in old age and programs to make women give up the profession.
It pointed out that pension scheme should be made available for house maids and urged the civic body to relax norms for various schemes for women implemented by PMC.
To address chain-snatching, the report urges the PMC to provide proper lights at public places during early morning walks and evenings. It recommended road crossings that enable old citizens to cross the roads without danger.
The report mentions the need of a gender audit and gender outcome appraisal to ensure effective implementation of gender budget. It asks for dedicated cell for implementing gender budget prepared by PMC.
It proposes a separate committee under the mayor for welfare of old people in the city which should meet every three months to address issues. The report states the need of a separate garden, recreation centre for old citizens in every electoral panel with facilities for old people to sit and rest.
Along with efforts to empower women, the report asks for a separate cell for women corporators in PMC headquarters to act as knowledge management hub for women corporators and help them perform more efficiently.