By Manoj More
Parrots picking up horoscopes at random for soothsayers to predict the future of people has been heard of but a housefly selecting the deputy headman of a village is something novel. That’s what was reported from Satkarshtal village near Khed (Rajgurunagar) taluka of Pune district. It took nearly 10 minutes for the housefly to sit on the chit carrying the name of the deputy sarpanch. The district collectorate has called the process “invalid.”
On Saturday, the gram panchayat of Satkarshtal elected Sanjeevani Thingale as deputy sarpanch for a one-year term. Three members had thrown their hat in the ring.
Ashok Chavan, gram panchayat member, said, “There are nine gram panchayat members. Two are in the opposition. Of the seven members, two served as sarpanches. One served as deputy sarpanch. Of the four, I had withdrawn. So three remained in the fray,” he said. Satkarshtal village has a population of over 4000.
Khanderao Thingale, whose panel holds the rein of the gram panchayat, said he suggested the idea of allowing a housefly to decide the deputy sarpanch. “When I mooted the idea, all other members agreed,” he said adding a similar procedure was adopted last year.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Sanjeevani is daughter-in-law of Khanderao Thingale, who is a former member of the gram panchayat. “The gram panchayat meeting was held at Bhairavnath temple in the village where prominent villagers were invited. I made the suggestion as a villager,” he said.
The names of contestants were written in three chits. The chits were placed on the ground in front of all members and prominent villagers. After nearly 10 minutes, a housefly sat on one chit. “When the chit was opened, it carried the name of Sanjeevani Thingale,” said Chavan, himself a four-time gram panchayat member. The new sarpanch said she was lucky.
“The housefly sat on the chit carrying my name… It could have sat on any other chit…it was an interesting way of selecting the deputy sarpanch,” she said.
Since the story was reported by local newspapers, television channel crews have been descending on the village. “Our village has become a celebrity of sorts. Our idea will surely catch up,” Chavan said.
All this has not gone down well with the district collectorate which described the process invalid. “So far, we have not received any report regarding this election. If such an election has taken place where a housefly has decided the deputy sarpanch, then it is invalid. For electing a deputy sarpanch, due election process should be followed,” said Additional Collector Ganesh Patil. He said the collectorate will inquire into the matter.