“To the best of my memory, we met first in 1939. He used to give me Yoga lessons. He had great reverence for his Guru who, he said, had given him the task of spreading Yoga in western countries. During our meetings, we used to discuss how Yoga could help people live a healthier and happier life, a life of fulfilment and freedom. (It was Dada Vaswani who inaugurated the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute on January 19, 1975).
On a personal level, he came across as a serious person than jovial. One thing that made our friendship grow over the years was mutual respect. Though we were good friends, we rarely met or spoke over phone. It was not felt necessary to speak over the phone. The last letter I wrote to him was when he was conferred with Padma Vibhushan. In the letter, I wrote, ‘Sometimes as I have thought of all that you have done to spread India’s culture among the nations, I have felt that one like you should be weighed in gold and the gold spent in service of Yoga. I have not forgotten the days when you were my teacher and I was a student. How close we felt to each other. I have fond memories of those days.
In addition to the letter, I sent him a few of my books.
The letter got a warm reply. It stated, ‘I remember the days when I was coming to meet Sadhu Vaswaniji who asked me to help you to learn a bit of Yoga, I still consider that those days were my happiest days.’
He was a yogi par excellence. His body appeared to be made of rubber. He could mould it as he liked. His faith in the Guru was great. He was the first to carry the message of Yoga to Europe. In the last couple of days, I started getting news of his illness. I wished to visit him at the hospital, but my health did not permit me.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
It is my faith that in this endless adventure of existence, we shall meet again, somewhere, some day.