My partner and I have been together in a loving and committed relationship for 14 years and were still going strong. We are neither monsters nor saints. We are certainly not criminals. We are human beings who deserve equality under the law and it is offensive to reduce the richness of our relationship and lives to unnatural sex, said 41-year-old Dr Shalmalee Palekar,professor of post-colonial literature at University of Western Australia and daughter of noted actors Amol and Chitra Palekar told The Indian Express in an email interview.
Shalmalee who came out after graduating at St Xaviers College,Mumbai,left for higher studies three-four months later,recalls Chitra Palekar who had expressed shock and dismay at the SC verdict.
Chitra is among the 19 parents who had filed petitions in the Supreme Court supporting the Delhi HCs verdict. In the interview,Shalmalee spoke of her disappointment with the verdict. I am angry about the judgment,which is a huge blow to human rights and social justice in India. It sends the message that equality and progress is only for a few,not all,and discrimination based on sexual orientation is perfectly acceptable, she wrote.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
The support of my parents has given me a rock solid self-belief. So even when I was very anxious about coming out as a 20 year old,I knew that there was nothing wrong with me just because I had come to realize over my teen years that I was a lesbian. Even with such a liberal and progressive family,though,its a difficult thing to come out, Dr Shalmalee said.
You agonise whether they will still love you,whether you will still be the daughter they are proud of… And then you do it,and its like leaping off a cliff,abject terror and simultaneous exhilaration! Of course,the coming out never ends. Every time you start a new job or make new friends,every time someone asks what your husband does,you have to make a choice to come out or not,so the journey is ongoing, she said.
She said in Britain until the late 1800s,sodomy was not used simply to refer to anal sex but included oral sex,the use of contraception and many heterosexual sexual positions. It was an umbrella term that condemned practically every human sexual practice as unnatural, she said.
Shalmalee said in the days of legal racial segregation in the US marriage between African-American and white people was considered unnatural,and was banned in many states.
These attitudes have obviously changed over the years,and so must attitudes to same-sex love, Dr Shalmalee urged. Its been heartening to see and read the groundswell of outrage at the judgment. So the fight will continue.