Hamid, son of slain anti-superstition activist Narendra Dabholkar, on Thursday said even seven months after the murder, the police have not told them what had happened in the first hour after the incident and who were the officers responsible for the delayed action.
On Thursday, Hamid and two members of Maharashtra Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti (MANS) met Police Commissioner Satish Mathur to discuss the progress in the investigation.
Dabholkar was shot by two unidentified persons on the bridge near Omkareshwar temple around 7.10 am on August 20 last year. In January, Pune police had arrested Manish Nagori alias Manya (24) and Vilas Khandelwal (22) from Ichalkaranji in Kolhapur following a ballistic report, which reportedly stated that the bullet was fired from a gun recovered from them.
“Two persons have been arrested but the real conspirators and attackers are still at large. This is very disturbing. The family has not yet been told what exactly happened in the crucial first hour after the attack. The crime took place in the jurisdiction of Pune police, it is their responsibility. When they talk about handing over probe to the CBI, we think they are trying to shirk responsibility. The commissioner said he is working on new angles in the case and assured us that his new team is working hard on the case,” Hamid said after the meeting.
MANS member Milind Deshmukh said, “We also asked him why it took so much time for the police to react. Who were the officers who could not even recognise the person who was shot at? Isn’t it the responsibility of senior officers to probe these issues too?”
He added, “We had met the state Home Minister 15 days ago and told him that the probe should be under the supervision of the court. We had also requested that a Special Investigation Team (SIT) be set up, but the government has not responded yet.”