Bib up,its crab time. Through December,Nisarg Sea Food Restaurant and Bar is organising its famous Crab and Lobster Festival. True to its name,the festival serves up a celebration of seafood,in a variety of preparations ranging from soups to tandoor dishes to continental recipes.
Treat yourself to some piping hot soups like Crab manchow soup and Crab sweet corn soup followed by starters such as Crab tawa dry,Crab ultapulta,Crab chilli milli,Crab Malvani tawa,Lobster kalimiri and Lobster butter garlic. Shelled starters are also available such as Crab shezwan,Crab chilly milly,Crab salt and pepper and Crab ginger to name a few.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
We have been organising this food festival year after year to cater to the seafood lovers in the city, says Jawahar Chorge,proprietor of the restaurant adding that earlier people used to rarely eat crabs,but the trend is definitely changing. The real deal for a crab lover is that the preparations are rustic,simple,fresh and delicious, says Chorge,who gets his daily supply of fresh crabs and lobsters from a relative in Mumbai,who owns a small fishing business. The main course has signature Nisarg curries like Crab masala,Crab matka handi,Crab Goan,Crab Bengali,Lobster Konkani and Lobster Malvani. Rice lovers can indulge in Crab Biryani and Crab fried rice, says Chorge,adding that crabs make for a perfect dish for the winters.
For those who are intimidated by how to get around to eating the shelled delicacies,Chorge encourages,The more mess you make while you eat,the better it tastes.
Goan Crab Curry
by Chef Laxman Patkar
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serving: 5 people
3-5 medium-sized crabs
2 onions chopped
1 tomato chopped
3 pieces tamarind
16 to 19 cloves
6 to 7 Kashmiri chillies
3 tbsp coriander seeds
1.5 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp fennel seed
1 inch ginger chopped
20 to 22 pepper corn
2 green cardamom
1 inch cinnamon stick
5 to 6 cloves
Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
salt as per taste
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp oil
1 cup water
* Combine one chopped onion,cumin seed,fennel seed,coriander leaves,chopped ginger,garlic,cloves,Kashmiri chilli and tamarind. Also,add cloves,cinnamon,javitri,pepper corn,turmeric. Grind to form a smooth paste. Add little water if required.
* In a big wok,add oil and sauté the second chopped onion. Stir for a minute on low flame.
* Now add the chopped tomatoes. Sauté for another three minutes.
* Add the ground paste to it and stir for five minutes.
* After about three minutes add the cleaned crab meat.
* Let this boil for 10 to 12 minutes on low flame and without lid. When the curry starts bubbling,you can add water as required and salt as per taste.
* Take off heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
* Serve crab curry with bread,pav or steamed rice.