• Associate Sponsor

Born a Muslim, trained in Hindu scriptures, yogi ‘Sri M’ is on the move

On a padyatra from Kanyakumari to Kashmir, the spiritual leader is currently in Pune.

Written by Garima Mishra | Pune | Published: July 2, 2015 12:40 am
yogi, sri m, yogi sri m, yogi sri m padayatra, pune padayatra, sri m padayatra, geeta, muslim, hindu, pune news, india news Sri M in Pune on Wednesday. (Source: Express Photo by Arul Horizon)

He neither reads namaz five times a day nor offers prayers at any temple. But he can recite texts from the Holy Quran as well as the Bhagwad Gita with an equal command.

“I am neither a Muslim nor a Hindu, I’m just a human being,” says Sri M, a spiritual leader, philosopher and educationist who is on a padyatra, Walk of Hope, during which he will cover 7,500 kms and 11 Indian states in one-and-a-half year under the aegis of Manav Ekta Mission.

Related Article

Starting from Kanyakumari on January 12, Sri M, who says he is driven by the philosophy that no religion is bigger than humanity, he has already covered over 2,500 kms so far. Covering 25 kms daily, the core group of 70 core people reached Pune on July 1. The padyatris halted at various places like German Bakery, Sadhu Vaswani Chowk, Synagogue Church and Poona College, among others, and interacted with people.

“I aim to see a united and an inclusive India at the end of the walk,” says the 66-year-old.

Sri M, whose original name is Mumtaz Ali, was born in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, in an educated Muslim family. His father, a graduate of those days, was a PWD contractor. He does not remember his mother or sister wearing a burkha. Since a very young age, he was interested in thoughts and philosophy. “The deeper I went into it, I noticed that some people had narrow mindsets. This set me thinking,” he says.

He had heard from his neighbours that in the Himalayas, one may find yogis who are full of spiritual knowledge. At 19, he left for Himalayas. After wandering for days, he met Maheshwarnath Babaji, who became his guru and trained him in Vedas, Upanishads, meditation and kriya yoga. “After three-and-a-half years, he asked me to go home, get married and lead a normal life,” says Sri M, who later got married to a Brahmin girl from whom he has two children.

Stressing that he has neither converted his religion nor changed his name, Sri M says, “All my documents such as passport, bank accounts etc. carry my original name Mumtaz Ali. My guru had given me the name Madhukar Nath. Since both the names and even Manav (human) start with ‘M’ , I chose to be called M. Out of love and respect, some people call me Sri M. I am okay with just M also.”

So what it is about Hinduism that attracts Sri M, a Muslim by birth and a Hindu by thoughts? “I am interested in the deeper aspects, not the rituals. For instance, one doesn’t have to start reading Upanishad with a thought ‘I believe’. One says, ‘I enquire’. If you don’t find it, then discard it. I have found what I was looking for. Similarly, in Islam, it’s the Sufi teaching that appeals me, not the daily rituals. According to me, all human beings are forms of divinity. They are walking temples.”

Sri M is not the usual “spiritual leader” as perceived by most. Minus a long beard or a robe, he can be found in a normal kurta-pyjama or a t-shirt and track pants and even in jeans. “The little bit beard that you can see is because I have been travelling and haven’t got time to shave,” he says, adding that he carries two cellphones, spends time reading news on his i-pad and even indulges in singing old Hindi songs occasionally.

“I don’t like people gathering around me and put me on a pedestal. In fact, sometime back, I told one of my team members to remove the word ‘mahayogi’ from the WoH banner.”

For all the latest Pune News, download Indian Express App

1. Sinniah Sivagnanasuntharam
    Mar 18, 2017 at 7:17 pm
    Welcome Yogi,! lt;br/gt;Most of your aspirations are ours too through the Grace of lord Murugan .....
    (0)(0)
      Santhosh
      Jun 15, 2016 at 10:38 am
      Really truth
      (0)(0)
      1. J
        jacob
        Aug 24, 2015 at 10:57 pm
        This endeavour by Sri M, while it is being touted as a very noble cause is nothing but a desperate search by one man to extend his fan base. I had joined the walk because when it was advertised it was pegged as a nation building exercise. Very soon money was collected and those who could not pay the Rs 500 were unceremoniously asked to leave. Then one of the fellow walkers it seems sent out an email and begged industrialists to donate and the walk now continues with those donations under names of people who are no longer walking. Sri M and the organisers always stay in big fancy hotels, Till date they Sri M has only sta at hotels, in some cases in AC rooms in Maths while the walkers stay in any given shelter without complaint. Sadly for a nation building exercise, there was a way of allotting shelters even, with the socially backward given the worst places of stay. This led many of his once "loyal" followers to back out. The reporters of the newspapers must do more than write what meets the eye. No one who walks with Sri M will speak about the inequality within the walk, because many of the permanent walkers (at least the ones that are remaining) think they will become enlightened at the end of the journey. The others are nothing but a floating crowd. This walk of hope is nothing but a foolhardy quest of one man who is trying really hard to promote his book and gain followers and money subsequently. Another guru produced by the Indian system to fool the poor mes of this country.
        (0)(0)
        1. J
          jacob
          Aug 24, 2015 at 10:58 pm
          (0)(0)
          1. ADIL SAIF
            Jul 4, 2015 at 4:44 am
            "A muslim by birth and a hindu by thoughts"- #the indian Express you disgust the very foundation of journalism. #Shame#TheIndianEXPRESS
            (0)(0)