Social media and mobile messenger service WhatsApp helped police solve the case of murder of a girl found dead in a suitcase abandoned near Kharadi octroi post on the Pune-Ahmednagar Road.
Police identified the deceased as Anuradha Ganpat Kulkarni (20), a resident of Ghorpadi and native of Latur. She worked in a shop in Clover Centre on M G Road. Police have arrested her “boyfriend-cum-live-in-partner” in the case registered at Yerawada police station. The suspect has been identified as Prashant Jeevan Suryawanshi (23), who lived in Ghorpadi and is a native of Latur.
The antecedents of the girl were found after the girl’s photograph was circulated on social media and a colleague of the girl who saw it on WhatsApp informed the police.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Police control room got a call from local residents around 4 pm on June 29 about an abandoned suitcase in Kharadi area. The police reached the spot and found the body. Post-mortem confirmed that the girl had been strangulated.
“We had no clues. There was no jewellery or identification mark on the body. Though social networking sites and phone messengers turned out to be a headache recently, we decided to make a positive use of them. We published a pamphlet with the photograph of the deceased girl along with some information appealing the people to inform the police if they have any clues about her murder. We not only distributed the pamphlets among the public, but also circulated it widely through social networking sites and WhatsApp,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (zone IV) Manoj Patil.
“The WhatsApp image reached a man with whom the girl was working. This man informed Cantonment police station. Soon, we were able to identify the girl,” said Patil. Police then came to know about her boyfriend Parshant, with whom she lived in Ghorpadi.
“Prashant had left the city. Also, he did not register any missing report about the girl. We found his movements suspicious. He had gone to Nashik and then to Gujarat. After a rigorous search operation, our team nabbed him today. He admitted to have killed the girl by strangulating her following a petty dispute at their residence. Investigation is on to confirm the exact cause of dispute and how he dumped her body in suitcase after the murder,” said Patil.
Police suspect that due to some dispute, Prashant killed Anuradha on June 28. Anuradha has studied up to Class 9. Prashant had failed SSC. The couple ran away from their homes to reach Pune about three years back. She worked at Clover Centre in Pune Camp, while he drove an autorickshaw.
Police said there is no evidence of them getting married, and so it can be said they were in a live-in relationship.
Police inspector Vilas Sonde is investigating the case.