Other than space crunch, the biggest problem at the Pune international airport is the threat of bird hits that shows no sign of decreasing. Over the past three years, more than a dozen bird hits have been reported at the airport. Several reasons including improper disposal of solid waste and increased human habitation have been attributed to this.
On Wednesday, the Pune-Bangkok flight, which departs at 1.45 pm from the city, was called back after a bird hit. The flight, which was cleared for take-off, was recalled to the airport and rechecked thoroughly. Although no damages were reported, the passengers had a frightening time.
Airport director Manoj Kumar Gangal said bird hits are a universal threat for the aviation industry. “We in Pune are aware of the threats, but have managed to address it properly,” he said.
Wing Commander R R Lal, spokesperson of Lohegaon Air Force Station, also admitted that there was a problem of bird hits but said it is under control.
Two years ago, the Airport Authority of India (AAI) had conducted a study on what causes bird hits. It pointed out that unchecked growth of human habitation and improper disposal of municipal solid waste were the main causes. Officials said waterlogging around the area compounds the problem.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Bird hits occur when the aircraft are not too high in the sky, officials said, adding that small birds pose the greatest threat to planes. Mostly, the incidents occur when the aircraft is either taking off or approaching the runway for landing.
AAI officials said the issue has come up for discussion with various authorities and steps like avoiding waterlogging and asking the civic authorities to ensure proper disposal of solid waste are being taken. “Bird hit is a big problem for the aviation industry throughout the world, but we are taking corrective steps,” said Gangal.