Recent incidents of sexual harassment of schoolgoing girls was the focus at the general body meeting of the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) as elected representatives strongly urged the civic body to initiate action against the schools for failing to ensure security of schoolchildren and delay in taking action against the culprits.
NCP corporator Nanda Lonkar said the PMC should take steps towards ensuring safety of schoolgoing girls by taking strict action against the schools for failing to take strict action against the culprits.
“The victim of a prominent school had to shift to another school due to the sexual harassment by those ferrying her in the school bus everyday. However, it was reliably learnt that the second school has also told the family of the victim to leave the school saying it was getting affected due to bad publicity. Where should the victim go for further studies?” said Lonkar. “The PMC education board should act tough against such schools that are adding to the suffering of the victim,” she added.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Corporators urged the civic administration to take strict action against schools failing to ensure safety of the girl students. “The education board has appointed a committee to investigate the matter and action will be taken against schools after a report is submitted to education board,” said municipal commissioner Vikas Deshmukh.
Shiv Sena corporator Sachin Bhagat and Congress corporator Sunanda Gadale said the PMC should provide all possible help to the family of the victim. The elected representatives also criticised the civic administration over an incident in a crematorium in Vadgaonsheri where a girl was raped by the security guard appointed by a contractor providing service to the civic body.
The civic administration said it was found that a lot of security guards were recruited in the civic body without proper verification. “It will be investigated why verification of those recruited for security job in civic body was not done,” said Deshmukh.
Deshmukh also announced the ‘suspension’ of Tukaram Supe, chief education officer of PMC education board, for 15 days and that an inquiry would be done into alleged financial irregularities in the purchase of flowerpots.