Bakery revamp over,no fund for equipment

The much-awaited reopening of the Germany Bakery wrecked in the February 13,2010 blast is still hanging in the balance.

Written by MANOJ MORE | Published:October 7, 2012 4:18 am

The much-awaited reopening of the Germany Bakery wrecked in the February 13,2010 blast is still hanging in the balance. In spite of using Rs 14 lakh assistance given by the state government as an exceptional case and Rs 35 lakh loan the owners had raised,the Kharose family has not been successful in relaunching the famous outlet in upscale Koregaon Park.

The Bakery owners who have from time to time said they would reopen the famous outlet “in a couple of months” have made another promise. “We are making efforts to re-open the bakery before the year ends,” said Snehal Kharose who has been overseeing the bakery revamp. The Kharoses had made the same promise last year. In fact,time and again the family has promised to reopen the bakery in two-three months time,only to hit hurdles especially related to finances,and postpone it.

On Saturday,the owners said the re-building process is over and adequate staff has been recruited,a heart-warming development for its patrons waiting to get into the new-look outlet. So,what is holding up the re-opening?

“Although renovation is over and we have recruited necessary manpower,we have not been able to stock up the required equipment,” says Snehal who cited fund crunch as reason.

The family points out that they are hard on cash. “We have used up the state government funds and had to raise a loan to complete the re-building process. All our money has been spent on getting the structure back on its feet. We have no savings left,besides we have to a pay high EMI for the loan taken from a bank. We need funds to buy necessary equipment to run the bakery,” says Snehal.

The family says they would not on their own approach donors. “But,yes,if people are willing to donate on their own we have no problem in taking the donations,” says Snehal.

Meanwhile,district collector Vikas Deshmukh,who had a few months back promised to find out why the Bakery re-opening was struck,on Saturday said he had told his officials to get the “money utilisation report” from the family. “I am not sure whether the report has been submitted by the family or not. I accept that I had not been able to look into the issue. Now I will find out from my officials whether the money utilisation report has been submitted. If not,I will direct them to get such a report from the family,” he said.

When asked whether the family would be paid additional funds since they have run out of money,Deshmukh said whatever money was paid was a one-time assistance given as an exceptional case. “We won’t be extending them any more funds,” he said.

For all the latest Pune News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results