In a blow to the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) in Pimpri-Chinchwad ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, a senior local leader Azam Pansare has left the party expressing displeasure over its top leadership. Pansare has announced that he would join the Congress.
Pansare’s decision has come in the wake of NCP reportedly zeroing in on MLA Laxman Jagtap as its likely candidate from Maval Lok Sabha constituency.
In the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, Pansare had contested from Maval on an NCP ticket and lost to Shiv Sena’s Gajanan Babar.
Supporters of Pansare allege that Jagtap had a role to play in their leader’s defeat as he had acted against the interests of the party. In 2009 Assembly elections, Jagtap contested elections as an Independent candidate against Congress’s Bhausaheb Bhoir despite Congress-NCP alliance.
“NCP leadership is rewarding rebel elements in the party and it is painful for loyalists such as me,” Pansare said in a hurriedly-convened press meet on Friday.
According to sources, Congress is likely to offer Pansare some key post, such as membership of the Legislative Assembly or chairmanship of Pimpri Chinchwad New Town Development Authority.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
In the past, Pansare had submitted his resignation as NCP Pimpri Chinchwad unit chief after a fallout over the selection of the party candidate to head the civic body’s standing committee. After that, he was appointed president of the consumer welfare advisory committee by the state government.