A drive carried out by DCP (Traffic) Vishwas Pandhare has found that 22 cops attached to the traffic control branch of Pune city police were found not performing their duties properly when they were deployed at major traffic junctions in the city.
The cops have been transferred to police headquarters in Shivaji Nagar. DCP Pandhare also issued show cause notices to the inspectors responsible for handling the traffic situation at the junctions.
During the crackdown, it was found that many traffic police personnel who man important junctions are often absent. Sometimes, they hide behind some object, stand at a corner or sit down under some shade. They even stand together and chat at crowded traffic junctions. And instead of managing vehicular congestion, traffic cops are more keen in taking action against those who break traffic rules. Traffic police personnel were also found to be accepting bribes from offenders.
To curb such malpractices, Pandhare, along with other senior police officers, conducted a surprise check at Balgandharva, Nalstop, Alka Theatre, Shastri Nagar and other key junctions.
“We have been giving orders frequently to traffic cops not to be absent from their posts or not to talk on phone while on duty. These are not offences. But it is essential that traffic cops follow and avoid certain things strictly for effective traffic management,” said Pandhare.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
“However, it was found that many cops do not follow these orders properly. Earlier, we use to fine the cops who were not working properly at traffic junctions. But now we have decided to follow “no tolerance” policy. On January 18, we informed our men on roads through wireless communication about performing their duties properly. This was followed by surprise checks,” he said.