2 months on,boy succumbs to burns

Two months after 5-year-old Piyush Santosh Walunj was injured due to electrocution in Thergaon,he succumbed to his injuries at Surya Hospital on Monday.

Written by Express News Service | Published: October 16, 2012 5:37 am

Two months after 5-year-old Piyush Santosh Walunj was injured due to electrocution in Thergaon,he succumbed to his injuries at Surya Hospital on Monday.

Piyush had been undergoing treatment since August 17 when he suffered 40 per cent burns due to a sudden discharge of electricity after a short circuit in a high voltage transmission cable.

Piyush was standing on the staircase of a commercial complex at Thergaon when cable fell on the transmission line and caused the short circuit,police said.

Authorities at the sub-station of the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company said a trip (a process in which the circuit is automatically switched off of excessive flow of electricity) was reported in the sub-station.

The impact of the discharge was so high that the marble floor was broken. Police said Piyush’s parents run a laundry shop in the complex.

The explosion-like sound had sparked off rumours of a bomb blast,which was later confirmed as false by the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad.

For all the latest Pune News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results