Any content in Zee TV’s series Buddha that hurts religious sentiments can be grounds to take it off air, said the Bombay High Court on Friday. A division bench of Justice S J Vazifdar and Justice B P Colabawalla, however, said that it would not interfere if the “issue is trivial”.
The bench was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by Samta Sainik Dal, seeking the court to stop the telecast of the series based on Gautam Buddha, as it was “factually incorrect and hence hurt the sentiments of Buddhists”.
“They (Zee TV) are portraying Buddha as an incarnation of (Lord) Ram. The serial has hurt the sentiments of Buddhists and those who believe in the religion,” said the petitioner’s lawyer.
“If there are two different philosophies followed in the religion, then we will not interfere,” said Justice Vazifdar. The court issued notices to the Union and state governments, serial’s producer B K Modi and Zee channel, and directed the respondents to file their replies within two weeks.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review