While the NCP has been accusing the state government of sitting on projects worth over Rs 10,000 crore, which were proposed by an NCP-led department, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan refuted the charge Friday. He said he was unable to clear the files as some projects did not have financial closure.
He said if the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC), an infrastructure development agency headed by an NCP minister, submitted well-planned project proposals with financial closure, his government would swiftly clear them.
“The MSRDC does not have money to execute these projects. There is no financial closure for the passenger water transport project. Where will the money to execute these projects come from? If they bring detailed proposals, we can assess them,” Chavan said.
Constant friction between the Congress and its ally NCP, under whose purview are two critical infrastructure agencies, MMRDA and MSRDC, respectively, has been slowing down the pace of Mumbai’s infrastructure development.
A major chunk of MSRDC’s development work — worth over Rs 10,000 crore — has been awaiting clearance from the Chavan-led Cabinet sub-committee on infrastructure. This includes projects like the passenger water transport on the city’s eastern and western coasts, capacity addition to the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, a sea link from Worli to Haji Ali and expansion of the Thane creek bridge. All projects, being undertaken on a build-operate-transfer mode, worth over Rs 25 crore, need the sub-committee’s nod.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The MSRDC has proposed to implement several projects by levying additional toll”
“We are facing issues with regard to toll. There is major agitation from public against toll. It is difficult to compute the right kind of toll to be charged. There has to be an accurate and scientific estimation of the exact number of vehicles that will use the road. We have to rethink the entire toll policy,” said Chavan.
NCP’s Jaydatta Kshirsagar, PWD minister (commercial undertakings) and MSRDC chairman, said it was incorrect that the project proposals were without any financial closure”
“For the water transport project, we propose to implement it with financial contribution from the MMRDA and CIDCO. There is no question of non-closure. Also, all our projects don’t involve toll collection. Moreover, the government has stopped giving any funds to the MSRDC. I have given up any hope of the projects being cleared before the state elections,” Kshirsagar said.