In a symbolic act, Vidarbha Connect (VCan), a recently-floated “apolitical” organisation, hoisted the “Vidarbha flag” here and at all other districts in the region on Maharashtra Day.
Many others separately espousing the cause observed the day in different ways — candlelight march, kirtan, “black day” etc.
The flag was hoisted in the city by VCan president Mukesh Samarth at Vishnu Ki Rasoi, an eatery run by famous chef Vishnu Manohar.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Attended by a number of activists, such as Shrinivas Khandewale, Anil Killor, Vilas Kale, Devendra Parekh, Uday Bodhankar and Deepak Nilawar among others, the occasion was marked by sloganeering and speeches in favour of Vidarbha statehood.
The only prominent political leaders to attend the programme were former MLA and AAP’s Chandrapur nominee Waman Chatap and Ashish Deshmukh, son of former MPCC chief Ranjit Deshmukh.
Chatap was chosen as “chief minister” of the “Vidarbha state” at a mock Assembly session held here in December prior to winter session of the state Assembly.
“Instead of observing a black day, we chose to celebrate it by hoisting the Vidarbha flag,” said a VCan press release.