In a symbolic act, Vidarbha Connect (VCan), a recently-floated “apolitical” organisation, hoisted the “Vidarbha flag” here and at all other districts in the region on Maharashtra Day.
Many others separately espousing the cause observed the day in different ways — candlelight march, kirtan, “black day” etc.
The flag was hoisted in the city by VCan president Mukesh Samarth at Vishnu Ki Rasoi, an eatery run by famous chef Vishnu Manohar.
Attended by a number of activists, such as Shrinivas Khandewale, Anil Killor, Vilas Kale, Devendra Parekh, Uday Bodhankar and Deepak Nilawar among others, the occasion was marked by sloganeering and speeches in favour of Vidarbha statehood.
The only prominent political leaders to attend the programme were former MLA and AAP’s Chandrapur nominee Waman Chatap and Ashish Deshmukh, son of former MPCC chief Ranjit Deshmukh.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Chatap was chosen as “chief minister” of the “Vidarbha state” at a mock Assembly session held here in December prior to winter session of the state Assembly.
“Instead of observing a black day, we chose to celebrate it by hoisting the Vidarbha flag,” said a VCan press release.