Victims stable,kin claim poor maintenance led to fire

Arvind Goving Phansekar,65,could not climb down the ladder his neighbour had put up to help residents escape the blaze.

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai | Published:March 16, 2012 3:58 am

Arvind Goving Phansekar,65,could not climb down the ladder his neighbour had put up to help residents escape the blaze. Phansekar and 11 others who were injured in the blaze at the Tardeo building were rushed to Nair Hospital,however,he could not make it. The others in the hospital are said to be stable.

Three other members of the Phansekar family,including 11-month-old Pranay Phansekar were admitted to the hospital. Pranay suffered burns on his face,legs and hands. Also among the injured are a three-year-old boy and two senior citizens.

Victims and their families blamed the poorly maintained building for the incident. “The building was crumbling down. The wiring of the building was old and faulty. Had the building authorities paid attention to maintenance,this tragedy would not have occurred,” said a relative of a victim.

Acting dean of Nair Hospital,Dr M K Sanjana said the victims were stable. “None of the injuries was serious. We are hopeful most will be discharged in a couple of days but some might take about a week to recover,” Sanjana said.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results