Police sent a report to the forest department and the collector on the destruction of mangroves on land owned by the Essel Group in Gorai Tuesday. Police detained two persons who were caught levelling and filling mangrove areas using JCB machines in the area Monday.
Based on a complaint that mangroves were being destroyed, the Gorai police reached the spot and found workers driving a JCB, clearing and flattening the area. “We immediately picked up Bahadur Tejin Damor (33) and Anilkumar Mathur (24) who were flattening the land very close to mangroves,” said Pramila Kawale, police sub inspector, Gorai police station. Police conducted a spot panchnama Monday and are awaiting instructions from the collector and forest department before registering an FIR.
Gorai police said it has sent a letter to the Essel group Tuesday to ascertain who authorised work on mangrove areas owned by the group. The site is opposite the Essel Group’s under-construction resort. The Essel Group has maintained that they are not aware of the issue. “We will follow whatever legal procedure has to be followed in this case,” said Nilay Vaidya, spokesperson for Essel Group.
“The reclaimed land is being levelled by JCB machines and grass carpets are being laid there. New roads are being constructed on mangroves opposite Essel World and Water Kingdom by killing mangroves and dumping construction material over it,” said Harish Pandey, member of the New Link Residents’ Forum.
A team from the mangrove cell who visited the spot Monday has confirmed the violations. “Prima facie, it seems that the violations are on private land so we haven’t taken any action. We will refer it to the concerned authorities,” said N Vasudevan, chief conservator of forests, mangrove cell.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016