In line with the World Bank’s directive to reduce the number of deaths due to trespass, the Mumbai Rail Vikas Corporation (MRVC) has planned to undertake infrastructure interventions at 20 “critical” locations along the mid-section of railways lines where trespassing is frequent.
Of the 20 locations, 10 have been identified on Central Railway (CR), four on Western Railway (WR) and five on Harbour and one on Trans Harbour line. The MRVC is already implementing a similar programme at 12 railways stations identified earlier.
In 2013, 3,513 people lost their lives in railway accidents on the suburban railways, of which 3,142 were men and the remaining women. The railways had asked its consultant to identify frequent trespass locations up to Badlapur on CR, Virar on WR, Panvel on Harbour line and Nerul on Trans-Harbour line.
Of the 130 locations identified by them, 20 have been suggested as “critical”, where immediate measures need to be taken to prevent accidents, said a MRVC officer. According to the initial report presented by Sir J J School of Architecture Wednesday, infrastructure interventions like Foot Over Bridges (FOBs), concrete walls, fencing and skywalks or pathways at grade have been suggested at the 20 locations. The project is estimated to cost up to Rs 250 crore.
“Most of the locations identified are towards the north side, especially beyond Thane. The areas identified are within 200 metres of the railway station, where people were found trespassing to either go to the station or go from east to west or vice versa. The study has also identified some new spots where trespassing is high despite a low record of deaths,” said another MRVC officer.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Sir J J School of Architecture had previously been as consultants to identify trespassing at railway stations and suggest measures. Of the 12 stations identified, work has already started at Kanjurmarg on CR and Borivali on WR.