In line with the World Bank’s directive to reduce the number of deaths due to trespass, the Mumbai Rail Vikas Corporation (MRVC) has planned to undertake infrastructure interventions at 20 “critical” locations along the mid-section of railways lines where trespassing is frequent.
Of the 20 locations, 10 have been identified on Central Railway (CR), four on Western Railway (WR) and five on Harbour and one on Trans Harbour line. The MRVC is already implementing a similar programme at 12 railways stations identified earlier.
In 2013, 3,513 people lost their lives in railway accidents on the suburban railways, of which 3,142 were men and the remaining women. The railways had asked its consultant to identify frequent trespass locations up to Badlapur on CR, Virar on WR, Panvel on Harbour line and Nerul on Trans-Harbour line.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Of the 130 locations identified by them, 20 have been suggested as “critical”, where immediate measures need to be taken to prevent accidents, said a MRVC officer. According to the initial report presented by Sir J J School of Architecture Wednesday, infrastructure interventions like Foot Over Bridges (FOBs), concrete walls, fencing and skywalks or pathways at grade have been suggested at the 20 locations. The project is estimated to cost up to Rs 250 crore.
“Most of the locations identified are towards the north side, especially beyond Thane. The areas identified are within 200 metres of the railway station, where people were found trespassing to either go to the station or go from east to west or vice versa. The study has also identified some new spots where trespassing is high despite a low record of deaths,” said another MRVC officer.
Sir J J School of Architecture had previously been as consultants to identify trespassing at railway stations and suggest measures. Of the 12 stations identified, work has already started at Kanjurmarg on CR and Borivali on WR.