Three persons including a navy personnel received burn injuries on Friday after a fire broke out onboard INS Ganga, which was going through routine maintenance and refit at the Naval Dockyard here.
“During the welding work, the (welding) gun took time to ignite and when it did, thick flames erupted from the gun, injuring three people including two civilians,” said the naval sources.
The incident occurred around 11:50 AM when welding work was in progress on board the naval ship, said the sources.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
“It was a minor accident in which three people sustained burns. They have been taken to the naval dispensary for first said,” the sources added.
INS Ganga was deployed for patrolling the Gulf of Eden in 2012 to protect the marine jurisdiction from the Somali pirates.
The Indian Navy has been a subject to regular mishaps from August 2013 which led former Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi to resign wothout completing his term.
On Wednesday, the Chief of Naval Staff Admiral R K Dhowan had said that the Indian Navy has taken a ‘serious note’ of the recent accidents involving its submarines and the probe reports are in different stages.
(With PTI input)