Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi Thursday attacked the RSS saying those who “killed Mahatma Gandhi are today invoking Gandhi for their own benefits”.
Gandhi, who was addressing a rally at Sonale village in Bhiwandi taluka, also hit out at BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, saying he was appropriating India’s first home minister Sardar Vallabhai Patel as “theirs”. “Sardar patel had clearly written against the RSS, but still they claim Patel belongs to them,” he said.
At the rally that saw a good turnout with people also coming from neighbouring tribal Vikramgad taluka and Nashik district, Gandhi was lauded when he said BJP’s politics was to divide people on communalism and caste lines.
“Wherever they went, they triggered communalism, dividing people. Hindus and Muslims fought, people fought in the name of caste and in the name of region… Have you ever heard of Congress party dividing people,” he said, claiming his party worked for inclusion of all.
Gandhi accused the Opposition for neglecting the poor and the weak. “They will never speak of the poor, the vulnerable. When we spoke of the MNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme), of Food Security Bill, they called them money-guzzling policy… Today, over 15 crore people have been lifted above poverty line.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Bhiwandi, a powerloom town 60 kms from Mumbai, alone contributes nearly 40% of the national production from the powerloom sector and supports over 15 lakh families. At present, it is ailing due to high power tariffs. Gandhi said the chief minister had assured him that powerlooms of the town would be supported. “The CM is working on powerloom cluster development scheme,” Gandhi said.
Asking for more women representation in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, the Congress vice-president said his party would field more women candidates.