While Pune district was busy getting their fingers inked, the family of sugarcane cutters from Malegaon once again missed exercising their right to vote. More than 100 families from Malegaon could not vote as they are engaged in the sugarcane fields and can’t go back till April 28.
Hari Sonawane and his family have been travelling from one sugarcane field to other in Junnar, Khed and Ambegaon for the last six months. This was the second Lok Sabha election that the Sonawane family missed as they were away from their hometown.
“Our names appear in the electoral roll of our village and we had voted for the panchayat elections. No one even called us to inform about the polls,” he said.
Asked when he had voted last, Sonawane was not able to remember. “Ours is a vagabond lifestyle and there is no way we could go back home to vote. Also, as I said, we did not know about the ongoing election much,” he said.
Along with Sonawane, the families of eight of his brothers too were unable to cast their vote as they are all away from their village in Malegaon. “In all, there are around 50 of us on the move, and none of us were able to vote,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Rough estimates say more than 500 families from Malegaon are in Pune at present working as sugarcane cutters.