PRADIP DAS & TANUSHREE VENKATRAMAN
The bell was installed in 2008 by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) at Bandra Bandstand by none other than the then city Mayor Shubha Raul. It rang loud and clear and warned couples sitting near the seafront of high tides.
“Couples often do not realise there is a high tide and get drawn into the deep waters very easily,” says Robin Nath, secretary of the Bandra Bandstand Residents Association (BBRA). “Most of the times, it is the locals in the area who help people in case of an emergency,” he says.
Nobody is quite sure what happened to the bell. Nath says the bell was just stolen, but some others allege that the police did away with it.
“Usually, there are guards here, but nowadays we don’t even see them. I think the civic body should install the bell again. The locals do help in case of emergencies, but that was an innovative idea which was not implemented well,” says Hemant Shukla, a regular visitor at Bandstand.
Another visitor, Vaugh Baretto, says, “I think with the monsoons approaching, it would be really good if the authorities can take required steps to alert the people sitting at Bandstand. Right now, there are only signboards which can easily be missed by people.”
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation