Thane petrol pump scam: ‘Racket using chip operating across state’

By: Express News Service | Thane | Updated: June 19, 2017 2:57 am
petrol, petrol scam, petrol pump scam, thane petrol scam, pan india, indian express news, india news, pune news The scam was suspected to be linked to a similar one in Uttar Pradesh that was busted by the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) in April. (For representation only)

A PETROL pump racket in Thane that was busted on Saturday was operating across Maharashtra, police have found. With permission from the Maharashtra Director General of Police, the Thane police have been raiding petrol pumps across the state, with raids in Pune, Nashik and Khopoli. Police have sealed two petrol pumps and seized nine pulsers attached to petrol dispensing machines.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Abhishek Trimukhe said: “Based on information we had, we have coordinated with police stations across the state and raided petrol pumps at Pune, Nashik and Khopoli. We have seized nearly nine pulsers from petrol pumps. It is in addition to the one at Thane that we sealed earlier.”

The Thane police had on Saturday busted a racket where petrol pumps with help of electronic chips dispensed less quantity of fuel than what was displayed on the vending machines. Till Saturday night, the police had arrested the owners of two petrol pumps in Thane. The scam was suspected to be linked to a similar one in Uttar Pradesh that was busted by the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) in April.

Based on a tip off that petrol pumps had inserted such chips in vending machines, the police had raided two petrol pumps and seized the chips.

The first such raid took place at a petrol pump in Manpada where for 5 litres, the machine would dispense 4.8 litres. “Over a day, it leads to pilfering of substantial amounts,” said an officer. Following the raid, Vipul Dedhia, the owner, was arrested. The police raided another pump at Wagle estate and an electronic chip was recovered.

In May, the Thane police had arrested two people involved in the petrol pump racket in Uttar Pradesh and handed them over to STF, which had in April busted a similar racket and arrested 23.

An officer said: “The chips used in Thane were much more advanced than those used in UP. It took us over a month before we could verify information and conduct the raids.”

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

Dalit_Brahman
    Jul 2, 2017 at 5:17 pm
    If all these news items are closely monitored and if information available on Petroleum ministry site is used then we can assess the extent of this scam in money terms. Presuming this is going on for last 10 years atleast, now let us see how much Petrol was sold ... .270577 thousand metric tonnes. If you convert it to liters it is 36702 Crore Liters. So at Rs 70 per liter on an average and if you consider only 15 shortage was effected then the shortage amounts to Rs. 385374 Crore Rupees...Now find out who these petrol pump owners are ? All of them related to some politician....so do you think this will every be investigated and the SCAM will come in open ?
      Samir
      Jun 20, 2017 at 12:31 am
      Short dispensing is a small issue, Adulteration is the major issue as it is not just cheating but also damages the vehicle as well as raises the pollution levels 😥
        Shailesh Kubde
        Jun 19, 2017 at 6:38 pm
        Same thing happening at Indian Oil Petrol Pump on Goregoan Highway, Once I went to complain the manager, there one staff offered me Rs. 100/- petrol with the explanation that his staff might have forgotten to bring the meter to zero. After that incidence, twice I fueled my vehicle and both the time I experienced shortfall.
          Kshitij
          Jun 19, 2017 at 12:41 pm
          I have been filling fuel at Manpada for years! With cases like there, I would request the media and other officials to also educate the citizens how to take precautions? Can someone tell me how do I ensure I am not cheated this way each time I go to refuel?
          1. U
            Umacon
            Jun 19, 2017 at 2:12 pm
            Dear Sir, As a consumer, you should measure the average mileage of your vehicle after filling petrol at different pumps. This is a sure-shot test because all other factors remaining same (driving speed, road conditions) you will see better mileage from pumps where you have been given proper fuel.
              Kshitij
              Jun 19, 2017 at 3:24 pm
              Ya. That actually works.. I'll get cheated a few times at 1 fuel station after calculating my average with that of refuels from other station only realizing later that I was actually also getting cheated at the 2nd station because ... voila.. there is a 3rd pump where I have better mileage.. Oh in fact... motor companies should start add another clause to their "terms condition" while they promise customers of the "mileage kitna deti hai" ... and it should depend on "konse fuel station se refill karwate ho!". My dear friend... my basic question still remains!
                Samir