USE as many hands as possible” has always been the motto of Darshan Shah’s 20-year-old textile enterprise Weavers Studio. It has been all hands on deck with this Kolkata-based studio showcasing its collection in the city, marking the inauguration of the Mumbai-based store Vaya’s third outlet
On display is an exclusive selection of block-printed, screen-printed, textured, embroidered, Batik work and Shibori saris, fabrics and dupattas, displaying the studio’s penchant for innovation, research and creative experiments by marrying weaves and techniques. So, keep an eye out for their Batik saris with badla metal work, dupattas that team brocade borders with Warli-style embroidery and stoles that combine patchwork and Shibori.
Buoyed by the popularity of handlooms around the country, Shah says, “There is a great revival in the handloom industry due to the efforts of young and enterprising designers. Gaurang Shah from Hyderabad, Bappaditya Biswas of Byloom, Sanjay Garg of Raw Mango, Pradeep Pillai and many others are reviving heritage textiles by infusing new energy into colours, textures, marketing, look books and fashion shows.” With mainstream designers such as Ritu Kumar, Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Rohit Bal, Neeru Kumar, Anuradha Vakil and Meera and Muzaffar Ali taking an interest in reviving heritage textiles, Shah believes more fashion conscious audiences will be drawn to the crafts.
“The availability of fine yarns and luxury fibers, combined with complex looms, has inspired hand weavers to create fabrics for fashionable, tailored garments. In times to come, handloom will be a luxury product,” she says.
Weavers Studio’s wares will be on display till July 26 at Vaya branches in Colaba, Gamadia Road and Bandra.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More