USE as many hands as possible” has always been the motto of Darshan Shah’s 20-year-old textile enterprise Weavers Studio. It has been all hands on deck with this Kolkata-based studio showcasing its collection in the city, marking the inauguration of the Mumbai-based store Vaya’s third outlet
On display is an exclusive selection of block-printed, screen-printed, textured, embroidered, Batik work and Shibori saris, fabrics and dupattas, displaying the studio’s penchant for innovation, research and creative experiments by marrying weaves and techniques. So, keep an eye out for their Batik saris with badla metal work, dupattas that team brocade borders with Warli-style embroidery and stoles that combine patchwork and Shibori.
Buoyed by the popularity of handlooms around the country, Shah says, “There is a great revival in the handloom industry due to the efforts of young and enterprising designers. Gaurang Shah from Hyderabad, Bappaditya Biswas of Byloom, Sanjay Garg of Raw Mango, Pradeep Pillai and many others are reviving heritage textiles by infusing new energy into colours, textures, marketing, look books and fashion shows.” With mainstream designers such as Ritu Kumar, Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Rohit Bal, Neeru Kumar, Anuradha Vakil and Meera and Muzaffar Ali taking an interest in reviving heritage textiles, Shah believes more fashion conscious audiences will be drawn to the crafts.
“The availability of fine yarns and luxury fibers, combined with complex looms, has inspired hand weavers to create fabrics for fashionable, tailored garments. In times to come, handloom will be a luxury product,” she says.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Weavers Studio’s wares will be on display till July 26 at Vaya branches in Colaba, Gamadia Road and Bandra.