Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday laid the foundation stone for the country’s first National Hadron Beam Facility at the Tata Memorial Hospital (TMH) to help provide high-end cancer treatment. The Rs 425-crore project, spread over five acres, and funded by the Centre, is expected to be completed in four years and will cater to more than 11 lakh patients visiting the hospital every year.
The hospital also announced a new 200-bed Women and Children’s Hospital, a dharamshala to accommodate relatives of 250 patients and a hostel facility for 700 staff. “This is the first such centre in India that will bring us in the top select countries having highly developed cancer care facilities. The institute will also become a centre for research and education since cancer is emerging as the leading cause of death globally,” Singh said.
Hadron beam facility is a branch of radiation therapy that uses charged protons to kill the tumour in the affected body part. As opposed to conventional methods, which use X-ray beams, hadron beams cause minimum damage to the surrounding normal tissues.
The new dharamshala will help in accommodating the increasing number of outstation cases. “We have observed a drop-out during treatment due to lack of accommodation for relatives. Around 20 per cent pediatric cases drop out,” Dr Rajan Bavde, director at THM, said.
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said