Designer dossiers on Day 2 of the Lakme Fashion Week Summer/Resort 2014 pointed towards a scorching summer. With plenty of pastels, bare backs, sheer layering and palazzo pants already on display, designers further delved into pockets, playful peek-a-boo cut-outs, zipper details and tie-and-dye techniques. Here’s our ready reckoner of four sizzling trends that will help you beat the heat in style.
It’s literally time for a pocket full of sunshine. With designers tacking pockets on to everything — floaty full-length skirts, dainty dresses, column gowns and jumpsuits, this promises to be a season of practicality. Sailex’s summer siren sported pockets on flouncy salmon-coloured crepe skirts and chic graphite maxi dresses. Verb worked pockets on to their intricately embroidered creations and Ilk by Shikha and Vinita presented sheer smocks over pocketed palazzos.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
In a continuation of a hot fall-winter 2013 trend, zipper detailing made its presence felt on the summer ramp too. The humble metal-toothed fastener was elevated to embellishment stature by the likes of Manish Malhotra, Dhruv Kapur for DRVV, Nishka Lulla and Narendra Kumar Ahmed.
Paints and patterns merged to create summer’s most colour-fast trend — tie-dye. From the marbling effects we spied on Manish Malhotra’s menswear and Mandira Bedi’s colourful saris to indigo master-pieces by Divya Sheth and Ikai by Ragini Ahuja, various methods of tie-dye were employed for spectacular dappled effects. Sailex presented shibori magic in grey and orange on cape-dresses, trench coats, maxi skirts and shirt dresses, giving the ancient tie-dye technique a sophisticated and modern makeover.
Cut It Out
This summer’s all about showing some skin as designers build in rips and cuts into creations. Strategically placed and undeniably sexy, cut-outs appeared prominently on the runways of Nikhil Thampi, Payal Singhal, Sailex and newbie Veda Raheja. While Thampi placed cuts on sleek jumpsuits and pant suits, Singhal displayed hints of the midriff with cut-outs on embroidered outfits with sheer tulle panel skirts.
Kimi Dangor and Meenakshi Iyer