Designer dossiers on Day 2 of the Lakme Fashion Week Summer/Resort 2014 pointed towards a scorching summer. With plenty of pastels, bare backs, sheer layering and palazzo pants already on display, designers further delved into pockets, playful peek-a-boo cut-outs, zipper details and tie-and-dye techniques. Here’s our ready reckoner of four sizzling trends that will help you beat the heat in style.
It’s literally time for a pocket full of sunshine. With designers tacking pockets on to everything — floaty full-length skirts, dainty dresses, column gowns and jumpsuits, this promises to be a season of practicality. Sailex’s summer siren sported pockets on flouncy salmon-coloured crepe skirts and chic graphite maxi dresses. Verb worked pockets on to their intricately embroidered creations and Ilk by Shikha and Vinita presented sheer smocks over pocketed palazzos.
In a continuation of a hot fall-winter 2013 trend, zipper detailing made its presence felt on the summer ramp too. The humble metal-toothed fastener was elevated to embellishment stature by the likes of Manish Malhotra, Dhruv Kapur for DRVV, Nishka Lulla and Narendra Kumar Ahmed.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Paints and patterns merged to create summer’s most colour-fast trend — tie-dye. From the marbling effects we spied on Manish Malhotra’s menswear and Mandira Bedi’s colourful saris to indigo master-pieces by Divya Sheth and Ikai by Ragini Ahuja, various methods of tie-dye were employed for spectacular dappled effects. Sailex presented shibori magic in grey and orange on cape-dresses, trench coats, maxi skirts and shirt dresses, giving the ancient tie-dye technique a sophisticated and modern makeover.
Cut It Out
This summer’s all about showing some skin as designers build in rips and cuts into creations. Strategically placed and undeniably sexy, cut-outs appeared prominently on the runways of Nikhil Thampi, Payal Singhal, Sailex and newbie Veda Raheja. While Thampi placed cuts on sleek jumpsuits and pant suits, Singhal displayed hints of the midriff with cut-outs on embroidered outfits with sheer tulle panel skirts.
Kimi Dangor and Meenakshi Iyer