The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) will soon be on Facebook and Twitter in a bid to establish direct dialogue with its commuters about important public information, such as revision of fare-related announcements, introduction of special as well as new bus routes and electricity related information.
To enhance revenue, the services of BEST will be optionally used with the guidance of a newly formed marketing cell. Under this, the buses will be used for the purposes of corporate offices.
- Meghalaya CM Conrad K Sangma says job tough, but expresses resolve to spur development
- Guideline for Rs 250 reward for tracing missing persons draws Mumbai cops’ mixed response
- Pune: After nine months at helm of PMPML, IAS Tukaram Mundhe transferred to Nashik
- ‘Deficiencies In Tender’: BEST likely to cancel contract for ticketing machines with Trimax
- BEST to spend Rs 10 lakh to promote its services
- Transport utilities agree to share depots,BEST wants NMMT top man
At a meeting of the BEST committee Thursday, member Raj Purohit raised questions regarding these moves. He said, “While it is a good decision to connect with commuters on social media, it is important to ask how we are going to do this. We need to think of the budget needed and the staff we will need to make these programmes work. We need to move beyond the stated line in the budget estimate.”
Meanwhile, to encourage its staff, BEST felicitated a driver and a conductor for getting the highest collection in a short span of time. On November 15, they collected Rs 15,213 from just ground booking in three hours on Route 111 between Churchgate and CST station.
Bus conductor Nitin Nalawade and driver Tukaram Jadhav, along with assistant traffic officer Ankush Karande, were awarded by BEST Chairman Arvind Dudhwadkar.
During the meeting, several committee members reiterated that BEST was not doing well financially. They also discussed how they could attract more commuters to choose bus rather than more expensive alternatives like share autos and taxis.