A special court Thursday extended the interim protection granted to Deputy Inspector General (Protection of Civil Rights) Sunil Paraskar, booked for allegedly raping a model, till August 5.
The Mumbai Police Crime Branch, through the chief public prosecutor, filed a reply Thursday opposing the anticipatory bail application filed by the IPS officer on July 25, stating that prima facie, there are serious allegations against Paraskar.
Defence lawyer Rizwan Merchant, has sought time to file a rejoinder along with the copy of the FIR which has not been submitted to the court. Moreover, the defence intends to annex copies of emails exchanged between the complainant and Paraskar, between December 2013 and July 2014. “The emails disclose that no such allegation made by the complainant are true,” said Merchant.
Chief public prosecutor Kalpana Chavan told the court that Paraskar has not handed over his mobile phone to the police. The complainant, on the other hand, had surrendered her phone.
“We have submitted a letter to the Crime Branch stating that the mobile phone (Paraskar’s phone) contained delicate information conveyed by informants and was destroyed before the complaint was lodged,” Merchant told Newsline.
Will subject Paraskar to lie detector test, says Maria
The Mumbai Police Crime Branch applied for permission to subject Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Sunil Paraskar to lie detector tests as part of the police’s investigations into the allegations of rape and molestation against him, the police said on Thursday.
Paraskar, who is currently Deputy Inspector General, Protection of Civil Rights, was booked earlier this month after a model made allegations of sexual exploitation against him. The case was transferred from the Malwani police station to the Crimes Against Women Cell of the Mumbai Police Crime Branch, with an Assistant Commissioner of Police investigating it.
On Thursday, Mumbai Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria said, “It is an ongoing investigation and a lot of things need to be probed. We will conduct lie detector tests on Paraskar.”
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) confirmed that an application had been filed before the Sessions Court on Thursday, and added that the hearing on the matter was scheduled for August 5.
Paraskar has been questioned twice in connection with the case till now. While the first session lasted for over four hours, the second time he was questioned for around an hour-and-a-half. Sources said that in both these session, he admitted to knowing the victim but denied any sexual exploitation.
Meanwhile, the police are scanning emails exchanged between Paraskar and the victim as part of their investigations. The victim’s two cell phones have already been sent for data recovery.
“We had also asked Paraskar to hand over his phone to us. However, he has not done so as yet, and we have mentioned this in our application opposing his Anticipatory Bail Application in the court on Thursday,” said a crime branch officer.