Former chief minister Prithviraj Chavan on Thursday said there are a few competent ministers in the BJP-led government at the Centre but Prime Minister Narendra Modi was not giving them important roles ‘fearing competition’.
Delivering a speech to mark the death anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi, Chavan told party cadre at Congress Bhavan, “Union external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj is a competent minister but she is kept away from getting any publicity. Modi does not want any minister parallel to him and he is purposely keeping the ministers such as Swaraj, union home minister Rajnath Singh and defence minister Manohar Parrikar away from taking major decisions of their respective ministries.”
- BJP hits back at Congress, says PM Modi victim of abuses
- Demonetisation anniversary LIVE updates: PM Modi thanks people for supporting note ban, shares video on 'benefits'
- Past govts tried to run down Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel's contribution, says PM Modi
- PM Modi pays tribute to Indira Gandhi on her 33rd death anniversary
- Gandhi Jayanti 2017 LIVE updates: If 125 crore people come together, we can fulfill dream of Swachh Bharat, says PM Modi
- RSS not happy with PM Narendra Modi, claims Prithviraj Chavan
The purchase of aircraft should be announced by the defence minister but every such announcement is made by only Modi, he added.
There is no gain from the foreign trips undertaken by Modi, Chavan claimed, “I have served as minister in thePMO and there was a system for office work but now the PMO is occupied by Gujarati-speaking officers or those from the Gujarat cadre. The other ministers are left with no major work as the transfer of the officers in their ministry is also done by PMO.”
Talking to reporters, the Congress leader said Modi is the ‘Prime Minister of the country and not Gujarat’.