Former chief minister Prithviraj Chavan on Thursday said there are a few competent ministers in the BJP-led government at the Centre but Prime Minister Narendra Modi was not giving them important roles ‘fearing competition’.
Delivering a speech to mark the death anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi, Chavan told party cadre at Congress Bhavan, “Union external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj is a competent minister but she is kept away from getting any publicity. Modi does not want any minister parallel to him and he is purposely keeping the ministers such as Swaraj, union home minister Rajnath Singh and defence minister Manohar Parrikar away from taking major decisions of their respective ministries.”
- LIVE updates: PM Modi and I did not discuss Jaspal Atwal, says Trudeau
- Maharashtra education dept shopping list: 1,49,954 books on Modi, 4,343 on Gandhi, 1,635 on Nehru
- Rahul Gandhi cites Rajnath Singh’s speech on Nehru to counter PM Modi
- Why Nehru vs Patel
- Don’t lecture us after what you did to India: PM Narendra Modi attacks Congress
- Gujarat lags on HDI parameters, says Prithviraj Chavan
The purchase of aircraft should be announced by the defence minister but every such announcement is made by only Modi, he added.
There is no gain from the foreign trips undertaken by Modi, Chavan claimed, “I have served as minister in thePMO and there was a system for office work but now the PMO is occupied by Gujarati-speaking officers or those from the Gujarat cadre. The other ministers are left with no major work as the transfer of the officers in their ministry is also done by PMO.”
Talking to reporters, the Congress leader said Modi is the ‘Prime Minister of the country and not Gujarat’.