ROHIT ALOK & KRISHNA UPPULURI
Shankar LOK building crashed on the adjoining chawls around 11:45 am on Friday. Among the dead were one woman from the building and six residents of Catherine Chawl. The deceased and injured were rushed to civic-run V N Desai Hospital in Santacruz.
After nearly four hours, the fire brigade and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) managed to rescue four injured people, while the seven deceased were declared dead on arrival.
The deceased have been identified as Sudha Sreedharan (32), Chandan K Patel (50), Sundarabai Pardhi (70), Aditya A Pardhi (10), Ayush A Pardhi (8), Rajshree A Pardhi (32) and Louis Boabento Nunis (50).
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
“The Pardhi family had rented the house 2-3 months ago,” said family member Dattaram Tukaram Surve (40), who resides in Goregaon.
While Kantibhai Patel and his two sons were away for work when the incident took place, his wife, Chandan Patel could not rush out as the adjoining building fell on their home.
Among the four who survived, 18-year-old Akshay Kesakar shared how fortunate he and his grandmother were to have only gotten away with injuries. His 60-year-old grandmother fractured her legs, and injured her head.
Jessica, a student of Regina Pacis Convent in Byculla, lives with her family on the ground floor of Catherine Chawl. “I had just woken up to study for my exams when the building collapsed in front of me. I ran out to the opposite building but could not see a thing because of dirt and rubble,” Jessica said.
Dr Krishnakumar Pimpale, medical superintendent of V N Desai Hospital, said, “All the seven deceased had multiple injuries. However, the cause of death will be ascertained after the post mortem examination.”
(with inputs from Megha Sood and Sharvari Patwa)