ROHIT ALOK & KRISHNA UPPULURI
Shankar LOK building crashed on the adjoining chawls around 11:45 am on Friday. Among the dead were one woman from the building and six residents of Catherine Chawl. The deceased and injured were rushed to civic-run V N Desai Hospital in Santacruz.
After nearly four hours, the fire brigade and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) managed to rescue four injured people, while the seven deceased were declared dead on arrival.
The deceased have been identified as Sudha Sreedharan (32), Chandan K Patel (50), Sundarabai Pardhi (70), Aditya A Pardhi (10), Ayush A Pardhi (8), Rajshree A Pardhi (32) and Louis Boabento Nunis (50).
“The Pardhi family had rented the house 2-3 months ago,” said family member Dattaram Tukaram Surve (40), who resides in Goregaon.
While Kantibhai Patel and his two sons were away for work when the incident took place, his wife, Chandan Patel could not rush out as the adjoining building fell on their home.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Among the four who survived, 18-year-old Akshay Kesakar shared how fortunate he and his grandmother were to have only gotten away with injuries. His 60-year-old grandmother fractured her legs, and injured her head.
Jessica, a student of Regina Pacis Convent in Byculla, lives with her family on the ground floor of Catherine Chawl. “I had just woken up to study for my exams when the building collapsed in front of me. I ran out to the opposite building but could not see a thing because of dirt and rubble,” Jessica said.
Dr Krishnakumar Pimpale, medical superintendent of V N Desai Hospital, said, “All the seven deceased had multiple injuries. However, the cause of death will be ascertained after the post mortem examination.”
(with inputs from Megha Sood and Sharvari Patwa)