The defence lawyers of the three persons convicted for the gangrape of a photojournalist and a telephone operator at Shakti Mills compound will Wednesday move the Bombay High Court challenging the application of an additional section under which the prosecution can seek death penalty for the trio.
On Monday, a sessions court had allowed the prosecution’s application seeking the application of section 376 (E) of the Criminal law (Amendment) Act, 2013 against Vijay Jadhav (18), Mohammed Qasim alias Bangali (20) and Salim Ansari (27). The three were held guilty of committing the offence in both the cases. The application of the section enables the prosecution to seek capital punishment for the trio, citing that they were “habitual offenders”.
Bangali’s lawyer R G Gadgil said they would challenge the constitutional validity of section 376 (E), among other reasons questioning its application in the Shakti Mills case. The application is likely to be mentioned before a High Court bench on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the sessions court Tuesday commenced the trial on the additional charge applied against three. Two witnesses — the investigating officer in telephone operator gangrape case and a constable, in whose presence Bangali was let out on bail in a theft case in 2011 — were examined by special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam. The defence will cross-examine these witnesses on Wednesday.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More