Shiv Sena corporator Yashodhar Phanse Saturday took charge as chairman of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) standing committee, replacing Rahul Shewale, who is now Shiv Sena’s candidate for the Lok Sabha polls from Mumbai South Central constituency.
Phanse is a three-time corporator from Kandivali west and has been the Shiv Sena’s group leader in the BMC for the past year. He has also held various other posts, including chairman of the civic improvements committee and health committee of the civic body. The crucial standing committee is responsible for approving all projects of the BMC.
Shewale held the post of the chairman continuously for the past four years.
The election for the post took place on Friday, wherein the 27 corporators in the standing committee were supposed to vote to elect a chairman. Of the 27 members, three MNS corporators, Samajwadi Party corporator Rais Shaikh and Congress corporator Dyanraj Nikam were absent. The election took place in the presence of Mayor Sunil Prabhu, Additional Municipal Commissioner Sanjay Deshmukh and other party leaders.
He will hold the chairmanship of the panel for a year.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Meanwhile, Shiv Sena corporator from Wadala, Trishna Vishwasrao, has taken charge as the leader of the House in the BMC. Vishwasrao is the first woman corporator to take up the post. A four-time corporator, she has been a member of the civic standing committee for the past two years.
The crucial improvements committee, has mostly been headed by BJP corporators, too is set to get a new chairman. The Shiv Sena-BJP combine has nominated Jogeshwari corporator Ujjwala Modak for the post of chairperson. If elected, Modak will be the first woman chairperson of the committee in more than 30 years. The committee decides land-related matters.