Shiv Sena corporator Yashodhar Phanse Saturday took charge as chairman of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) standing committee, replacing Rahul Shewale, who is now Shiv Sena’s candidate for the Lok Sabha polls from Mumbai South Central constituency.
Phanse is a three-time corporator from Kandivali west and has been the Shiv Sena’s group leader in the BMC for the past year. He has also held various other posts, including chairman of the civic improvements committee and health committee of the civic body. The crucial standing committee is responsible for approving all projects of the BMC.
Shewale held the post of the chairman continuously for the past four years.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
The election for the post took place on Friday, wherein the 27 corporators in the standing committee were supposed to vote to elect a chairman. Of the 27 members, three MNS corporators, Samajwadi Party corporator Rais Shaikh and Congress corporator Dyanraj Nikam were absent. The election took place in the presence of Mayor Sunil Prabhu, Additional Municipal Commissioner Sanjay Deshmukh and other party leaders.
He will hold the chairmanship of the panel for a year.
Meanwhile, Shiv Sena corporator from Wadala, Trishna Vishwasrao, has taken charge as the leader of the House in the BMC. Vishwasrao is the first woman corporator to take up the post. A four-time corporator, she has been a member of the civic standing committee for the past two years.
The crucial improvements committee, has mostly been headed by BJP corporators, too is set to get a new chairman. The Shiv Sena-BJP combine has nominated Jogeshwari corporator Ujjwala Modak for the post of chairperson. If elected, Modak will be the first woman chairperson of the committee in more than 30 years. The committee decides land-related matters.