The Dadar police which is investigating a case of alleged sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl by a school bus cleaner are now making inquiries with the victim’s classmates for further investigation.
They have made little progress as details of the crime have blurred as at least a year has passed since the crime occurred.
Investigators said on Wednesday that the school girl had been too traumatised by the assault and had not mentioned it to her parents.
- Ryan school murder case: Pradyuman Thakur murder case joins a list of several other 'botched-up' investigations
- CBI’s next step in Ryan school murder case: Take student to crime spot, knife shop, recreate what happened
- POCSO act case: Imam accused of sexually assaulting 8-year-old madrasa student arrested
- Delhi school child rape: Govt orders magisterial inquiry, CM Arvind Kejriwal describes incident as 'shameful'
- Mumbai: One held for sexually abusing two boys in Vile Parle
- Now,traffic police to keep an eye on school bus staffers
When she suffered repeated panic attacks that led her to be rushed to a hospital, it was a nurse’s questioning that eventually led to the truth emerging, said the investigators.
The parents registered a complaint at the Dadar police station on March 15, following which the accused, Kashinath Ghadigaonkar, was arrested and remanded to police custody.
The police said the inquiries are being conducted “sensitively and discreetly” to find out if the arrested accused made similar advances towards any other girl in the school, or whether anyone saw him act suspiciously around the victim.
According to the girl’s statement, she was sexually abused by Ghadigaonkar in the washroom of a well-known Dadar school.
The police said that since the girl and her classmates are minors, female officers in plainclothes would be sent to talk to them without making them uncomfortable. “We are trying to verify if Ghadigaonkar molested any more school girls either in the bus or on school premises.
Lady officers in plain clothes are speaking to the other girl students to determine if they ever saw the cleaner act suspiciously around any girl,” said the officer. Nishikant Patil, senior police inspector, Dadar police said that Ghadigaonkar does not have any past criminal record.